Postdocs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winnie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all, I'm back...

Looking at what grads of the programs I'm waiting to hear on are doing, I realize I don't really understand what a postdoc is. What is involved? I'm assuming they are necessary for some kinds of jobs/specializations...what might these be? I wasn't able to find a general explanation on the web, so if anyone can help me out, it would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! So, it's something pretty much everyone has to do?

I have been told that non-clinical people do not have to do it. If they were able to build up a good enough vitae during PhD program then they could get tenure-track position without one.
But for clinical people...yup that internship is mandatory.
I know quite a few people where I work who are post docs...they like it because it's really giving the chance to work on their own stuff, work with some top notch researchers, and build their resume. AND get paid (although not alot i've heard).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ka - ching!

Thanks, Twiggers and Paendrag!Now I get it! For clinical-practice folks the postdoc is the same as the one-year internship . I thought they were two separate things...

Sorry top confuse you winnie! Thanks for the clarification Paen :)

Thanks again. No problem, Twiggers...I think I confused myself. :rolleyes:

I'll take a look at that link you posted, Paendrag, but basically everyone who does a clinical doctorate should factor in an extra 1-3 years after receiving their doctorate in which they will be receiving a fairly low income? And more than one year is common for those interested in going into academia...Have I got it yet?

let's see if I can clear this up:

PhD/PsyD program - 4-6 years (last year generally being internship)
Once you graduate, you generally complete a 1-2 year post doc (aka low paid job or like a med residency)

At least in Illinois you do not have to have a formal post-doc to obtain licensure. You do have to have a specified number of supervised hours after you get your Ph.D. but a good number of organizations will hire people before they get this experience and provide it on-the-job. I know this is common in both the VA system and some college counseling centers.

Thanks for your help everyone...Looks like I need to clarify the state licensing requirements before I do anything else. I'll get in touch with the relevant organization. :oops:

winnie said:
Thanks for your help everyone...Looks like I need to clarify the state licensing requirements before I do anything else. I'll get in touch with the relevant organization. :oops:

I believe that States do not specifically require a formal postdoc to obtain licensure, but instead they require a certain number of supervised hours to be completed post graduation. Many recent graduates decide the best way to receive these supervised hours is through a formal postdoc. In my research this is the case in most states. many choose to do a postdoc not only for the supervised hours but also toget more formal training in a specific area of interest. Like someone mentioned before many employers will hire recent grads and provide the supervised hours in the first 1 or 2 years, some grads go this route rather than a formal postdoc.

Well, this is more complicated than I thought. At least I don't feel too bad now about my ignorance :p

Thanks again for the info, everyone.