Poster or publication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Az1698

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
So I was pat of a project that has submitted a abstract to
9th World Congress of Biological Psychiatry.

It has been submitted and will be presented there. My question is this: does this count as a poster or a publication? I have a copy of the accepted abstract with me, but I am not sure if I can put it as a publication on my CV and AMCAS. Is there a place where you can check to see this?

This is from there website:
Delegates have the option make use of the print on demand service which has been installed exclusively for the WFSBP Congress. This year’s abstract book will be published in cooperation with the publishing house Kulturbuch-Verlag GmbH .

so is this a publication? can I cite it as one on my AMCAS and my CV?

Members don't see this ad.

I might be wrong, but I usually cite posters on my CV as

Smith D, Jones E. Title. Conference. Date/session/location. (abs).

I know that some places (like Stanford's secondary) only asks for actual papers. On the AMCAS, I'm not sure. but you can use the above for your CV.

I might be wrong, but I usually cite posters on my CV as

Smith D, Jones E. Title. Conference. Date/session/location. (abs).

I know that some places (like Stanford's secondary) only asks for actual papers. On the AMCAS, I'm not sure. but you can use the above for your CV.
In the strictest sense, if you have a poster that you had to write an abstract for, I generally put it as a poster on my CV.

If that abstract is published in the proceedings (in such a way that someone can look it up on PubMed), I put that under the "Publications" heading, with "(Abstract) at the end. This differentiates it from full-length journal articles.

For you to do a presentation, you must have gone before a live audience and talked about your work at length from a podium. A poster =/= presentation.

In the "I-want-to-look-as-good-as-possible-for-AMCAS" sense, I wrote a bit about this in the re-app FAQ (link in my sig). In short, take a look at all of your posters/publications/presentations and see hom many of each I have. Because schools want to see a mix of things, I would spread the items evenly among the different possible categories.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the strictest sense, if you have a poster that you had to write an abstract for, I generally put it as a poster on my CV.

If that abstract is published in the proceedings (in such a way that someone can look it up on PubMed), I put that under the "Publications" heading, with "(Abstract) at the end. This differentiates it from full-length journal articles.

For you to do a presentation, you must have gone before a live audience and talked about your work at length from a podium. A poster =/= presentation.

In the "I-want-to-look-as-good-as-possible-for-AMCAS" sense, I wrote a bit about this in the re-app FAQ (link in my sig). In short, take a look at all of your posters/publications/presentations and see hom many of each I have. Because schools want to see a mix of things, I would spread the items evenly among the different possible categories.

I dunno about pubmed, but it will be published in that book (for abstracts) does that count?

I dunno about pubmed, but it will be published in that book (for abstracts) does that count?
A lot of conference abstracts get published in the conference book. Unfortunately, most MD's don't consider that as being published. That abstract needs to be in a journal with an ISBN number or on PubMed.

Don't worry, it's still something that'll look good on AMCAS as a poster or research experience.

A lot of conference abstracts get published in the conference book. Unfortunately, most MD's don't consider that as being published. That abstract needs to be in a journal with an ISBN number or on PubMed.

Don't worry, it's still something that'll look good on AMCAS as a poster or research experience.

Thank you for your help. two last things before I stop bothering you:
On a CV, does one put poster publications? How is that formatted?

If the book has an ISBN #, I can count it as a publication? and also, you said most MD's don't count it, so if I put it, would there be negative after effects?

Thank you for your help. two last things before I stop bothering you:
You're asking good questions, so it's not a bother at all.

...On a CV, does one put poster publications? How is that formatted?...
There's lots of ways. One way is to look up CVs and resume-writing examples on the internet and see what you like. I have a separate section for my posters and presentations on my CV. I generally list the authors (in the order shown on the poster), the title, the place it was displayed, and the year, in that order. There isn't a hard and fast method, just has to be clear and easy to read.

...If the book has an ISBN #, I can count it as a publication? and also, you said most MD's don't count it, so if I put it, would there be negative after effects?
There's a little hyperbole in talking about an ISBN #, so don't get too caught up on it. I'm just saying that anyone looking at your CV should stand a fair chance of Googling and finding whatever you put under your publication section. You'll get a better idea as you go further in medicine, but a lot of people fluff their CVs a bit to make things look better than they are, and if an interviewer catches them, that interviewee is sunk.

As an aside, I always had reprints of my work and extra CVs when I interviewed for med school. I had them on-hand in case anyone wanted to see the work itself or if they had questions. I plan to do so again for residency.

You're asking good questions, so it's not a bother at all.

There's lots of ways. One way is to look up CVs and resume-writing examples on the internet and see what you like. I have a separate section for my posters and presentations on my CV. I generally list the authors (in the order shown on the poster), the title, the place it was displayed, and the year, in that order. There isn't a hard and fast method, just has to be clear and easy to read.

There's a little hyperbole in talking about an ISBN #, so don't get too caught up on it. I'm just saying that anyone looking at your CV should stand a fair chance of Googling and finding whatever you put under your publication section. You'll get a better idea as you go further in medicine, but a lot of people fluff their CVs a bit to make things look better than they are, and if an interviewer catches them, that interviewee is sunk.

As an aside, I always had reprints of my work and extra CVs when I interviewed for med school. I had them on-hand in case anyone wanted to see the work itself or if they had questions. I plan to do so again for residency.

Thank you, I really appreciate this

I would recommend against putting abstracts, published or not, into the publications section. I would reserve this section for full peer reviewed articles. All abstracts, presentations, posters etc... should go under something like Abstracts and Presentations.