Postgraduate LPC supervision experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sioren

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is already up here, but I wanted to know what people's experiences were like for getting postgraduate experience for applying for an LPC. The whole process just seems really uncertain, and I have not been able to find any definitive information on what it's like for people on the internet.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have friends who are in the supervision process right now and they were able to find supervisors usually at their internship sites from their master's training. Most people didn't seem to have too difficult a time. Also states usually will publish a list of LPC approved supervisors.

I would actually try the search function on the forums here and I'm guessing you'll come up with quite a few hits.

Sorry if this is already up here, but I wanted to know what people's experiences were like for getting postgraduate experience for applying for an LPC. The whole process just seems really uncertain, and I have not been able to find any definitive information on what it's like for people on the internet.

Thanks!
I graduated over 2 years ago and haven't been able to find postgraduate hours for my license. I made the mistake of getting my Master's in Florida and then moving back to New York. I knew with little contacts in my field in New York it was going to take some time to find supervised employment; however, I wasn't prepared for the total lack of knowledge or respect for my degree organizations seem to have in New York. There is not one posted job for "Licensed Eligible" or "Permit Holder" Mental Health Counselor in the NY Metropolitan area. I hope you have better luck. If I knew it would be like this I would have opted for an MSW.

Unfortunately certain states/regions have biases, and LPC and NY is a popular one (mostly because many people re-locate to NY/NYC). Contacting the state level association for counseling may be a good place to check for possible supervisors. MFTs can have issues in certain states because of the relative "newness" (is that a word?) of the degree, compared to Counselors and Social Workers.