Jul 9, 2017
Okay so I have a feeling what most people will say, but wanted to get a general consensus to ease my mind. The last date to register for 2017 MCAT is today, well I can register late in a couple of weeks. I am so nervous about the MCAT because I have a lower GPA (3.45) and am applying to DO school. I have all TPR books to study, and some EK 101 passages I have been doing. I took one diagnostic before studying and got a 490...horrible. But I have been working 50 hours a week, so I have been waking up hours earlier to study and staying up late nights. Luckily, I have had all the classes the MCAT covers as I am a fifth year senior. I just took another TPR diagnostic and got a 496 after 3 weeks of review, not really studying or practicing much. Should I register for the September 9th exam and study and practice harder for then next month? Or should I seriously wait and take it in January, pretty much guaranteeing I won't get accepted this year? I believe once all the review is done, and I actually practice, which is what everyone says gave them the best increase in score, I could get 500+ which is what DO schools generally look for. Sorry for the length, but really need some constructive and honest opinions.

SLU Student

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Your GPA is average for D.O., maybe slightly below at worst. What's your sGPA?

Will this be your first MCAT attempt? If it is, then you will not be able to apply this cycle if you take it in January. Schools will not accept a first attempt January MCAT score for the ongoing cycle. You would have to take it this year if you want to apply this cycle.

I suggest taking an AAMC FL before making your decision. They are the most accurate predictors of what you will actually get on the real thing. If you are not satisfied with your AAMC FL scores and do not feel ready by the latest MCAT date this year, I highly suggest postponing your application until next cycle.

lesdieux

5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
From my understanding and experience, TPR diagnostics are deflated. I suggest taking an AAMC FL as it is a better indicator

About the Ads

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Totally agree with everyone else. Take an AAMC FL and see how you do; this will be way more indicative of how you may actually perform.

You can always schedule and ultimately void the exam if you do not feel ready to take it.

Reactions: bears1992

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Okay so I have a feeling what most people will say, but wanted to get a general consensus to ease my mind. The last date to register for 2017 MCAT is today, well I can register late in a couple of weeks. I am so nervous about the MCAT because I have a lower GPA (3.45) and am applying to DO school. I have all TPR books to study, and some EK 101 passages I have been doing. I took one diagnostic before studying and got a 490...horrible. But I have been working 50 hours a week, so I have been waking up hours earlier to study and staying up late nights. Luckily, I have had all the classes the MCAT covers as I am a fifth year senior. I just took another TPR diagnostic and got a 496 after 3 weeks of review, not really studying or practicing much. Should I register for the September 9th exam and study and practice harder for then next month? Or should I seriously wait and take it in January, pretty much guaranteeing I won't get accepted this year? I believe once all the review is done, and I actually practice, which is what everyone says gave them the best increase in score, I could get 500+ which is what DO schools generally look for. Sorry for the length, but really need some constructive and honest opinions.
Do NOT take the MCAT until you are 100% ready. You're not ready, nor are you even getting ready in a wise way.

CJhooper123

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Do NOT take the MCAT until you are 100% ready. You're not ready, nor are you even getting ready in a wise way.
What he said.

Coming from a person who is planning on retaking a 504... Don't take the MCAT just to take it.... Also... don't shoot to "score just above 500".
This test affects your professional career. Invest your time into it. Take the test when you feel comfortable and don't feel rushed. If you score poorly... you will have to wait to become a doctor. You might as well take you time, study, and only take it once. Take the test when you are sick from doing practice passages and you are literally ready to destroy it on test day

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
No. And do NOT go take an AAMC full length. There are very few of those and are like gold so do not waste one at a time when it won't do you any good. Wait and take it next spring and apply early next semester as you do not want to rush the MCAT, because it will make or break your application.

Reactions: BobbyKoch
OP
Superlove
Jul 9, 2017
Well I'm a first generation college student who has to work to pay for his school. I can't just take a summer off to study 3 months. Then what kind of study plan do you suggest? I was just studying to get an idea of what the material was like. And I know I can get a higher score if I really invested enough time and practice into it. So what do you suggest then? 6 months? 4 months?

Coltuna

2+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Well I'm a first generation college student who has to work to pay for his school. I can't just take a summer off to study 3 months. Then what kind of study plan do you suggest? I was just studying to get an idea of what the material was like. And I know I can get a higher score if I really invested enough time and practice into it. So what do you suggest then? 6 months? 4 months?
I worked full-time while studying for the MCAT. You're welcome to PM me.

Reactions: Superlove

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student

I have all TPR books to study, and some EK 101 passages I have been doing. I took one diagnostic before studying and got a 490...horrible. But I have been working 50 hours a week, so I have been waking up hours earlier to study and staying up late nights.

This process is a marathon now, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere. You should be treating the entire app process, including MCAT prep, like full time job. So, keep taking diagnostic exams until you can get up to 500+. And you're correct, a Jan MCAT will be too late for this cycle....at best, you be interviewing in spring time for a seat on the wait list.

Reactions: Superlove

Siromas

Non-Traditional livin'
2+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I would not recommend taking the MCAT this year. I worked full time, studied as a full time student, and volunteered while preparing for my MCAT exam. You're welcome to PM me for advice.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

About the Ads