Postpone or Just go for It

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lameduck

Reaction score
I am contemplating whether to delay my step 1 exam or just take and was hoping for some advice. My recent NBME scores have been NBME 16: 220 and NBME 17: 214. I took NBME 17 yesterday. My baseline NBME was a 195. My exam date is in approximately 2 weeks and I have been studying for 2 months now. Should I postpone my exam or just take it and be done with it? I am a US med student and still unsure of what specialty I want to go into. Some interests of mine include GAS, cardiology, or maybe even gen surg. My other option would be taking an extra year.

Members don't see this ad.

I am contemplating whether to delay my step 1 exam or just take and was hoping for some advice. My recent NBME scores have been NBME 16: 220 and NBME 17: 214. I took NBME 17 yesterday. My baseline NBME was a 195. My exam date is in approximately 2 weeks and I have been studying for 2 months now. Should I postpone my exam or just take it and be done with it? I am a US med student and still unsure of what specialty I want to go into. Some interests of mine include GAS, cardiology, or maybe even gen surg. My other option would be taking an extra year.
You'll probably get 220-225 on exam - considering nbme under-predicts and you have still 2 weeks. On the other hand, when you are that close and you are not statistically strong test taker - it's really not a good idea to risk it - people used to perform worse on real exam (stress, fatigue etc) and considering the specialties you are aiming at - maybe it's worth taking extra year. 1 year is nothing compared to 25-40 years of future specialty that you might not get (and be forced to go into specialty you don't really like) due to low usmle score. So it's up to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I hear gen surg isn't that competitive anymore and GAS has lost its luster as well the past few years.i think if you can muscle out a 230....you should be fine.

i would just go for it tbh, no point delaying it an extra year..thats excessive.. Just make sure you go to the exam with your A GAME, and you should be ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go for it!

Take your most recent NBME report and isolate what are the three organ systems you got the lowest!
Focus content review on those three systems as those are objectively your weakest and if reviewed properly you can increase the overall score trajectory! Develop a systematic way to review the organ system. For example, go through the FA chapter of that organ system, watch pathoma, do Anki cards, etc. - whatever can help you finish those three organ systems within 4 days or so - take another NBME to see if you improved (if you didn't, that is OK - you at least went through three organ systems' content which wont hurt in the long run!)

I really appreciate all these responses. Yeah I am pretty nervous on what to do but I think I am probably gonna end up taking it. It feels like I am forgetting a lot of stuff, but just gonna take it.

If you feel uncomfortable wait, if you feel good take it. Listen to your gut and follow what you feel is right. Rushing it sucks especially if you fail because you can never take it back.

So I took UWSA1 today and scored a 244 on it. I dont why the big difference between my NBME and this exam. I know it overpredicts but still makes me feel better. I am going to take UWSA2 in a couple of days which is more accurate from what I hear.

Do not postpone

UWSA1 overpredicts
NBME 17 underpredicts (took nbme 17 3 weeks out, got about 16-17 points lower than my actual score
Free 120 is very vague yet reasonably good predictor

Advice
Go through your incorrect uw answers, read explanations
Spend 1 full day (at least) working on each weak subject
Watch as many pathoma and sketchy videos as possible

Don’t postpone the test and don’t worry about it. Get a good nights sleep (or don’t, I got no sleep and did pretty well). Just try have a good time with it.

I really appreciate all these responses. Yeah I am pretty nervous on what to do but I think I am probably gonna end up taking it. It feels like I am forgetting a lot of stuff, but just gonna take it.

Only listen to ppl that took the real deal,
I say take it before you start forgetting stuff , I took my exam 9 days ago. Don’t wait 1 year that’s not gonna help you

So I took UWSA1 today and scored a 244 on it. I dont why the big difference between my NBME and this exam. I know it overpredicts but still makes me feel better. I am going to take UWSA2 in a couple of days which is more accurate from what I hear.

You will be fine. Just be confident in your UW forms...I didn't take a single NBME and only did the 2 UW forms..and they actually underpredicted...so go in confident, make sure you have a solid test taking strategy, and don't let tough questions affect the rest of your test. Eliminate, choose an answer and move on..be methodical and efficient. Good luck.

So I wanted to update this thread with my score. my score is pretty embarrassing but we will see what happens. I know it is not high by any means but I just wanted to post this information if it could help someone else in a similar situation. I didnt update right away because I was so depressed about my score. So I took UWSA2 2 days before my exam and scored a 231. On actual step 1 i got a 218. In my case the NBMEs were more accurate in predicting my score.

So I wanted to update this thread with my score. my score is pretty embarrassing but we will see what happens. I know it is not high by any means but I just wanted to post this information if it could help someone else in a similar situation. I didnt update right away because I was so depressed about my score. So I took UWSA2 2 days before my exam and scored a 231. On actual step 1 i got a 218. In my case the NBMEs were more accurate in predicting my score.
Well, as I told you it was up to you: 1 year vs higher score. Welcome to primary care lol. Ok, I'm kidding, but half options have just closed for you. Still can match to some non primary care low tier locations. I still think I would personally chosen to wait and get higher scores. No one would care about 1 extra year, especially down the road when you realize you are looking at 30-35 years of career in alternative specialty, just because you were inpatient and rushed it.