Potential health Hazards in Vet School?

Started by langiyo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

langiyo

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So this may be a weird question but I was touring University of Illinois's vet school today and in the anatomy lab it had a huge sign saying: " formaldehyde known carcinogen inside". And the vet student was talking about how all the students basically spend their whole lives in this lab when learning anatomy, some even sleep in the anatomy lab and all their clothes always smell like formaldehyde. Isn't this a health hazard?
 
Probably. But there's going to be health hazards in any scientific field... Just to name a few that I can think of in vetmed: exposure to radiation from x-ray machines, zoonotic diseases, parasites, injury due to unpredictable animal behavior (my friend lost a finger on a LA externship because a horse slammed it against a fence), etc. Occupational hazards. I work with rattlesnakes and there is a small chance I'll get bitten every time I handle them. I work with wild animals and birds of prey and there's a small chance I'll get bitten or clawed. Same with cats and dogs... But lots of these things are just that though, small chances. It can still happen, but how often does it happen in the field? It's up to whether it's worth it or not.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Isn't this a health hazard?

Probably. Science and medicine are full of potential health hazards (and therefore so is that schooling). It's part of the job. There are sharp pointy things that could cut you. Chemicals that could burn you. Patients that could bite you. Diseases that could kill you. Radiation that could turn you into a mutant zombie.

Minimize the risks and maximize the benefits - life is all about balance.
 
So this may be a weird question but I was touring University of Illinois's vet school today and in the anatomy lab it had a huge sign saying: " formaldehyde known carcinogen inside". And the vet student was talking about how all the students basically spend their whole lives in this lab when learning anatomy, some even sleep in the anatomy lab and all their clothes always smell like formaldehyde. Isn't this a health hazard?
LOL....no one sleeps in the anatomy lab. That was an absurd exaggeration. Our school has places where you can sleep if you really, really couldn't go home. You do not have to set up camp in the anatomy lab. Frankly, I'd be really impressed if someone actually tried to sleep in there. We have comfy couch things in the Atrium. Technically, we're not supposed to be there after 10PM because the ventilation system shuts off.

Yes, our clothes that are worn in the lab will stink. So I wash them. We spend 6-9 hours of class time in there per week, any extra time is your choice (you will kind of need to spend free time in there, though). Probably 99% of us first years don't cling to the lab outside of class until the week before an exam. Formaldehyde is currently linked to leukemias and upper respiratory cancers in studies looking at workers in industries such as mortuary science, textiles, etc. This study was looking at factory workers/morticians who spend 8 hour days inhaling the chemical for the duration of their employment. The anatomy lab has a ventilation system (you will occasionally catch whiffs of anatomy stink outside before you learn to ignore the smell in a few weeks of first year, that's the system hard at work). Some choose to wear masks, too, but they don't cut the stink.

That doesn't mean it isn't dangerous to us as veterinary students, but hmoo put it nicely in that there is a risk to the job in general. A lot of jobs have risks. Being in lab burns your eyes and nose. It's even worse if you're allergic to latex (I am) because of all of the latex gloves and blood vessels you're surrounded by. However, it's 9 months of ~6-9 required hours a week. Again, it doesn't mean it isn't a concern, but your exposure isn't as much as what was described to you. Unless you want to be in there 24/7.
 
Every job comes with risks. Even if you work at an office cubicle your whole life... What's not to say you'll give yourself a paper cut that somehow gets infected with MRSA? Kind of anecdotal but you get the point.
 
Also, just to further emphasize the other risks thing...I was bit already as a first year. So were another few first years. I watched a horseshoe fly off a hoof and right into an intern's shin. I was told a story about a horse going nuts in radiology and destroying a x-ray machine and a 4th year's knee. Someone might accidentally shoot a radiograph before you're past the safe distance line. Needle sticks. Crypto. I could go on. I'm not trying to belittle your concern, but just know that your concern for anatomy lab will be followed by many, many more concerns in the future. Having concern is good, though. You might be more cautious.
 
Having concern is good, though. You might be more cautious.

This is definitely me. I'm super concerned/cautious about everything when dealing with animals. It makes me slower, but stuff is less likely to go wrong. I try to do stuff the right way, even if it is more time consuming. Not to say things never go wrong, but it definitely helps!
 
This is definitely me. I'm super concerned/cautious about everything when dealing with animals. It makes me slower, but stuff is less likely to go wrong. I try to do stuff the right way, even if it is more time consuming. Not to say things never go wrong, but it definitely helps!
I need to be waaaaay more cautious about hand-washing and everything like that. They gave us a biohazard/zoonotic disease talk before our classes in August and I've been more conscious about it ever since. I realize things like "Wow, did I really just touch my phone after using a balling gun?" and so on. :smack:
 
Also, just to further emphasize the other risks thing...I was bit already as a first year. So were another few first years. I watched a horseshoe fly off a hoof and right into an intern's shin. I was told a story about a horse going nuts in radiology and destroying a x-ray machine and a 4th year's knee. Someone might accidentally shoot a radiograph before you're past the safe distance line. Needle sticks. Crypto. I could go on. I'm not trying to belittle your concern, but just know that your concern for anatomy lab will be followed by many, many more concerns in the future. Having concern is good, though. You might be more cautious.

Can confirm. Poked myself with a needle that was stuck in the cap before inducing. Thankfully just the needle, not the ketamine :laugh:

I need to be waaaaay more cautious about hand-washing and everything like that. They gave us a biohazard/zoonotic disease talk before our classes in August and I've been more conscious about it ever since. I realize things like "Wow, did I really just touch my phone after using a balling gun?" and so on. :smack:

I'm used to lab work like, in a biosafety cabinet, goggles, full gown, double gloves, vircon and alcohol for all the things, wash your hands 10 times, shower out through the airlock...and then I see the level of hygiene in large animal practice and I'm literally horrified.
 
Jumping out of my normal area in these forums to give my unique take:

I'm allergic to formaldehyde. Not in the classic anaphylaxis way, but it gives me migraines to the point that I can't do anything else. No other chemical does this (at least, not that I've found...not that I've searched...).

Whenever dealing with formaldehyde, I use a respirator. The kind environmental scientists use when removing asbestos from middle schools built in the 20's. Only difference is the filters, which are made for formaldehyde, not asbestos. It gets some strange looks on occasion, but getting a strange look is far preferable to feeling like my skull is cracking open for the remainder of the day.



In short, there are ways to be safe in unsafe conditions. If anyone cares that you are using an extra layer of PPE, that is their problem.
 
Whenever dealing with formaldehyde, I use a respirator.

Yep - OP, you can request a respirator if you're that worried. But when I think of all the second hand smoke I inhaled until I was 18, all the other crap floating around in the air, the amount of Diet Pepsi I drink on a daily basis, the biting creatures I work with, the large wild animals in vet school I was behind with my arm inside of, the needles everywhere..the profession is one big health hazard.
 
Whenever dealing with formaldehyde, I use a respirator. The kind environmental scientists use when removing asbestos from middle schools built in the 20's. Only difference is the filters, which are made for formaldehyde, not asbestos. It gets some strange looks on occasion, but getting a strange look is far preferable to feeling like my skull is cracking open for the remainder of the day.

Also important if someone is (or is worried they might be) pregnant......There was someone in my class who wore a respirator in anatomy lab (and in radiology, back before digital when there was still chemical developing).

There are various types and needs for Personal Protection Equipment - from gloves to respirators to face shields. None are foolproof, so you still don't do stupid things and weigh the pros and cons, but they can cut the risk if you want to.
 
So this may be a weird question but I was touring University of Illinois's vet school today and in the anatomy lab it had a huge sign saying: " formaldehyde known carcinogen inside". And the vet student was talking about how all the students basically spend their whole lives in this lab when learning anatomy, some even sleep in the anatomy lab and all their clothes always smell like formaldehyde. Isn't this a health hazard?
I'm the kid always wearing a helmet for sports and I tend to wear PPE when no one else does. Never apologize for being cautious. I've noticed often times, especially with helmets in co-ed softball for example, others want to wear a helmet also but are too embarrassed to be the only one. It only takes one drunk idiot to beam a ball to first and miss and nail you in the head....you're going to be a doctor...your brain is kinda important. I wear ear plugs to concerts and other loud events. I wear a mask when I'm using power tools that create dust, etc. Take care of your brain and your body how you see fit and don't worry about anyone else.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can confirm. Poked myself with a needle that was stuck in the cap before inducing. Thankfully just the needle, not the ketamine :laugh:
I had this happen to me while running a quality control check on a radiopharmaceutical. I had a radioactive thumb for two days and got to wear a latex glove on one hand Michael Jackson-style for the duration lol I was so very embarrassed. And that's in the relatively safer field of pharmacy, which just goes to show it can happen in any career field. Still waiting on my super powers... 🤣 (It was sestamibi with technetium if anybody wants to know)