Potential pharmacy dissmissal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frostydrew

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to be dissmissed from my school of pharmacy. I received a d in one of my pharmacology courses but was able to a achieve an a the following semester. I have a 3.1 overall and am Mostly a b student. I was supposed to retake the class over the summer but never did due to financial and personal issues. Any recommendations on what I should do? I am going to go through with the appeal process. I am about to go on to my p3 year and do not have an undergraduate degree.

Members don't see this ad.

I am about to be dissmissed from my school of pharmacy. I received a d in one of my pharmacology courses but was able to a achieve an a the following semester. I have a 3.1 overall and am Mostly a b student. I was supposed to retake the class over the summer but never did due to financial and personal issues. Any recommendations on what I should do? I am going to go through with the appeal process. I am about to go on to my p3 year and do not have an undergraduate degree.
Supply the school with your bank statements showing you had insufficient funds to email them about your situation before you avoided taking the class. Also the police report showing that your phone and computer were stolen would help.

Reactions: 3 users
You don't get student loans to cover course fees?

Members don't see this ad :)
Supply the school with your bank statements showing you had insufficient funds to email them about your situation before you avoided taking the class. Also the police report showing that your phone and computer were stolen would help.

A bit harsh -- but accurate. WTF were you thinking?

Reactions: 1 user
Have you considered a frivolous lawsuit?

Reactions: 2 users

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You don't get student loans to cover course fees?
We do but by the time I found out about he course, it was already started and it cost 4000. No notification was sent. Not to mention prior to the start of the next semester they notified me my only d would no longer be acceptable. It was when I received the d

T
Have you considered a frivolous lawsuit?
they never sent any notification as to when the class would start or how much. Also when I relieved the d, it was fine at he time. Once the new semester started, they changed the rules.

A bit harsh -- but accurate. WTF were you thinking?
I never received any notification as to when the class would start. Hard to get together 4K in two days. In the handbook it states up to 5 years remediation allowed, Ibe never been given the oppurtunity to remediate the class

Man up and explain the reasons why you failed the course and what will change if allowed to matriculate. No shenanigans, no BS and please don't make anything up.

Wait, why didn't they dismiss you in fall since that's when you failed? Plus even if you could retake the class in the summer why wait until August to explain you had no $$

Something not adding up

Reactions: 1 users
Man up and explain the reasons why you failed the course and what will change if allowed to matriculate. No shenanigans, no BS and please don't make anything up.

Wait, why didn't they dismiss you in fall since that's when you failed? Plus even if you could retake the class in the summer why wait until August to explain you had no $$

Something not adding up
I plan on explaining my reasoning for that. The policy states I have up to 5 years to remediate the course so I thought that I would be safe from dismissal.

I plan on explaining my reasoning for that. The policy states I have up to 5 years to remediate the course so I thought that I would be safe from dismissal.
The school also changed their policy. While I received the d it was fine. Upon beginning of spring smester the d was no longer ok.

Well make sure you are well versed in your schools Student Handbook and Policies. Strange things tend to be buried in the fine print. IDT the school can change policy like that midyear without due process and prior notifications.

Good luck man, you may have a case if what you said is accurate.

Well make sure you are well versed in your schools Student Handbook and Policies. Strange things tend to be buried in the fine print. IDT the school can change policy like that midyear without due process and prior notifications.

Good luck man, you may have a case if what you said is accurate.
Handbook was revised on now 25th 2015. Class ended December 5th 2015. Letter notifying me that policy had changed was Jan 5th 2016. Thank you very much for your input.

The school also changed their policy. While I received the d it was fine. Upon beginning of spring smester the d was no longer ok.
Then you're fine. Just show them the handbook that says a D is passing and explain that this was the rule when the grade was issued. If they start talking about new rules inform them of the sequential nature of time.

Handbook was revised on now 25th 2015. Class ended December 5th 2015. Letter notifying me that policy had changed was Jan 5th 2016. Thank you very much for your input.

Sigh. So here's the thing about time. It follows a linear sequence. Getting a D was not fine in November. You got a D in December. December is after November. So when you got the D, it was not fine.

January is a month that comes before the summer. When you are informed that a D is not passing and should repeat the course in summer in January, you should start planning on taking that course. Planning involves paying for and scheduling around that course.

If you think you shouldn't get dismissed, you're so stupid that you should be dismissed.

Reactions: 2 users
Sigh. So here's the thing about time. It follows a linear sequence. Getting a D was not fine in November. You got a D in December. December is after November. So when you got the D, it was not fine.

January is a month that comes before the summer. When you are informed that a D is not passing and should repeat the course in summer in January, you should start planning on taking that course. Planning involves paying for and scheduling around that course.

If you think you shouldn't get dismissed, you're so stupid that you should be dismissed.

Harsh, but correct, as I currently understand time. Now if you were traveling in a ship at near light speed, but took the class remotely on earth, you might have an argument.

--
Il Destriero

I never received any notification as to when the class would start. Hard to get together 4K in two days. In the handbook it states up to 5 years remediation allowed, Ibe never been given the oppurtunity to remediate the class

Umm you failed a class and sat around all summer waiting for a notification? This is really an issue that you should have resolved ASAP. The money thing just sounds like an excuse you made up after the fact.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you think what with computers and all, that your record would never be flagged that you didn't pass the class?

Sigh. It is definitely sad to see a new "about to be dismissed from pharmacy school" post everytime I log on here. Nothing new. LOTS of fellows students flunked out of my pharmacy school even back in the dark ages (granted it was a 0 - 6 school, but still.)

And as always with these posts, I feel there is more to the story then is being told. Most schools look at total GPA, and not individual course grades (as long as they are D or higher.) *if* your GPA is 3.1, it seems strange that you would be required to repeat a course. Of course, if your handbook clearly stated that only C or above would be considered passing, then I'm surprised that you were even allowed to take semester 2 of Pharmacology....at my school, if you didn't pass the 1st semester of a subject, you can't take the 2nd semester. Maybe your school is different, but I just feel like there is missing information concerning why you are now being subject to dismissal.

I think I can help you as I went through this exact thing when I was in school and was able to successfully overturn their decision. PM me if you want some help.

Hey , what did you end up doing??