Potential re-applicant, need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoobykim

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the current cycle nears to an end, I have 0 II's, handful of rejections and silent rejections. I am looking for some advice on how I should prepare myself to become a better applicant.

A little background (won't go too in depth to keep it a little short)
Graduated from UMICH, Asian male
3.62 GPA/ 3.44 sGPA (strong upward trend, 3.8+ GPA every semester for the past 7 semesters)
30 MCAT (11/9/10)

Currently- working as physical therapy aide full time
previous employments:
Lindamood-bell, tutoring and mentoring students who had different learning disabilities, ranging from reading deficits to autism- full time summer 2015

Summer 2013 and 2014- worked as a teacher's assistant at an academy I attended - was in charge of helping the teachers and managing a class of 20-40 students

Volunteer/Research:
250+ hours volunteer at my University hospital
80-100 hours shadowing a DO anesthesiologist
100-150 hours volunteering at a tutor facility for less fortunate children
150+ hours volunteering as online tutor through school organization
1 year research through school's program freshman year, none since - no publications
1 year research psych lab- studying relationship between nicotine addiction and attention

I am a NY resident, had my AAMC verified late June. Some secondaries out late july, bulk in mid-august, and a few in early september. I know my weakness is in my MCAT score and my volunteer hours, so I plan on retaking the MCAT and increasing my volunteer/shadowing hours. My question is if there were anything else that I can focus on to make myself a stronger applicant. Would an SMP be a smart move ? I had thoughts about taking my time with improving my MCAT score and volunteer/shadowing hours and apply for the 2018-2019 cycle (skipping the next cycle). Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think your weakness is your volunteer hours unless you applied primarily to schools like Rush and the like but even then I recieved an II from UCD, a relatively service oriented school with half the volunteer hours as you did.

Obvs your MCAT could use some work and an SMP could be beneficial but given your strong upward trend I wouldnt consider an SMP or postbacc necessary esp since they are so expnsive.

Honestly I think if you just retake the MCAT and get in the 90+ percentiles you should be fine. What was your school list and what havve you?

did you apply both MD and DO?

recommend focusing on your CARS and getting more feedback on your personal statement and secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think your weakness is your volunteer hours unless you applied primarily to schools like Rush and the like but even then I recieved an II from UCD, a relatively service oriented school with half the volunteer hours as you did.

Obvs your MCAT could use some work and an SMP could be beneficial but given your strong upward trend I wouldnt consider an SMP or postbacc necessary esp since they are so expnsive.

Honestly I think if you just retake the MCAT and get in the 90+ percentiles you should be fine. What was your school list and what havve you?

That's what a friend told me about smp /postbacc and wanted to focus on my mcat score. I applied to all ny schools, here are most off top of my head

NYMC
NYU
Mount Sinai
SUNT Upstate and downstate
Hofstra
Drexel
Rochester
Albany
Buffalo
Stony brook
Thomas Jefferson
Quinnipiac
Wake forest
George Washington
Michigan
And a handful others I can't remember
DO: nyit, pcom, lecom

did you apply both MD and DO?

recommend focusing on your CARS and getting more feedback on your personal statement and secondaries.

Yes both md and do although I wish I applied to more DO schools.

Is there a help service on the forums where members are willing to provide feedback on my ps and secondaries? Sorry I'm a bit new to this forum even though I've been lurking for some time.

You will probably need to retake the MCAT since the old format will no longer be accepted at some schools for 2018. If your MCAT score is at least 508 then consider all of these MD schools:
All 4 SUNY's
Vermont
Albany
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new private schools that open for 2018 (Seton Hall, Roseman, etc.)
Also apply to 10 or more DO schools and you should receive several interviews.

That's what a friend told me about smp /postbacc and wanted to focus on my mcat score. I applied to all ny schools, here are most off top of my head

NYMC
NYU
Mount Sinai
SUNT Upstate and downstate
Hofstra
Drexel
Rochester
Albany
Buffalo
Stony brook
Thomas Jefferson
Quinnipiac
Wake forest
George Washington
Michigan
And a handful others I can't remember
DO: nyit, pcom, lecom

Yes both md and do although I wish I applied to more DO schools.

Is there a help service on the forums where members are willing to provide feedback on my ps and secondaries? Sorry I'm a bit new to this forum even though I've been lurking for some time.

Its some what top heavy and low yield heavy but at the same time I would have expected at least one II with whaty ou've told me.