Potential Red Flag. How should I address it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mavrick232

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Here's the scoop. Freshman year (7 years ago) I had an alcohol in the dorms violation. Have had no further incidents since. Because it was taken care of through Residence Life I figured it was apart from the university and therefore didn't list it in my application last year (bogus move I now realize but honest mistake). Since then, I have contacted my student affairs office and have learned that it does indeed qualify as an IA and that I will need to list it. I am planning on putting it on my application this year but am worried that schools looking at my application from last year will see the discrepancy.

Do you think they will even notice that one application lists a violation and the other does not? Should I address this, in any way, pre-interview or just be prepared if it does come up at some point.

Thanks

BTW for those wondering I believe I am a strong reapplicant (3.8 GPA, 36 MCAT, lots of clinical, shadowing, and volunteer hours)

Members don't see this ad.

It should be fine. One offense isn't going to kill you. If they ask you about it, say you made a dumb mistake, learned from it and move on

It should be fine. One offense isn't going to kill you. If they ask you about it, say you made a dumb mistake, learned from it and move on

One offense can kill you, but an alcohol violation your freshman year does not fit into that category. If it's your only violation and you don't have any other red flags, I'd be up front with it in your application. Most schools will probably look at it as you being an immature freshmen, not a person with a major character flaw. Just let them know you learned your lesson and you should be fine. Especially with stats like a 3.8 and 36 MCAT.