Potential SMP Reapplicant - Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dayankees91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping to get advice regarding possibly re-applying. I applied this cycle and I'm currently on 2 WL's at NYCOM and DMU (1st quartile at the latter) but I'm not sure how much movement there will be.

NY resident.
Graduated from undergrad Jesuit school in 2014. cGPA was 3.25. sGPA was 3.05
SMP (Classes were from 2014-2015 and I finished my thesis May 2016). SMP GPA was 3.73 both semesters
MCAT: 24 (9/6/9) in April 2014. Retake with 29 (10/8/11) in August 2014. Scheduled for retake on July 22nd

Experiences:
3 months of research during summer in Systems Biology Lab. Worked with post-doc on how certain cancers express different levels of signaling pathways and presented poster. ~450 hours
SMP Thesis
4 years in alternative spring break organization. Member all 4 years. Trip leader last 2 years. Board member and transportation committee member senior year. ~800 hours (volunteering and other work in organization)
~30 hours volunteering in GI wing of hospital
~70 hours volunteering in free walk in clinic. Also volunteered as case manager which helped individuals sign up for state health insurance program.
~15 hours shadowing Urologist.
~40 hours shadowing Allergist/Immunologist
~120 hours in undergraduate symphony orchestra. (Freshman year only)
~50 hours as EMT-B in undergraduate EMS organization (Senior year only)
~1600 hours as full time ER medical scribe (Started September last year)

MD schools I applied to this past cycle (0 II's)
Albany
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
EVMS (no secondary)
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Penn state
NYMC
SUNY Buffalo, Downstate, Upstate
Saint Louis
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
Louisville
Vermont
Rush
Loyola Chicago
Temple

DO schools I applied to. 3 II's (schools bolded) resulting in 2 WL's and 1 rejection.
DMU
AZCOM

CCOM
NYCOM
UNECOM
Western (both campuses)
PCOM Philly
Touro Nevada

My current plan is to re-take the MCAT with a goal score of 515. I made the mistake of applying with a low verbal so I would like to fix the MCAT. Would have taken it earlier but due to working full time nights and working on the SMP thesis, I felt I wouldn't be prepared (my interviews were in March). I will also continue working as a scribe. Should I increase my volunteering and shadowing hours? Any other deficits that I should fix. My updated school list would be dependent on the new MCAT score but I would plan to applying to MD and DO schools again, with some additions and subtractions. Any input would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You are not competitive for MD schools as you already know from receiving no interviews. Your only chance for MD schools would be if you could increase your MCAT to greater than 512. You should be able to receive an acceptance to DO schools with your current stats if you apply more broadly.Apply to AZCOM, NYCOM and DMU again since your received interviews at those schools. Other schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats include:
ACOM
ARCOM (new school)
BCOM
WCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
LUCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
ATSU-SOMA
There may also be new schools opening in Texas and Utah.