Potentially Doomed By Step 1 Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreddiMercuri

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was looking at all the stellar STEP 1 scores that many of the SDN users have been posting and realized the impending doom that my score potentially represents in terms of competitiveness to top-notch or even medium-range residencies. In fact, I feel like an idiot because my score is quite sub par compared to the national average. :scared: Fact is standardized exams are not my forte. I know that other things count, but in the end people say the hands-down #1 factor is the board exam score. Is that really true? And how do you find out if this so? I want to ask people their honest opinion of where I stand or what my chances are with my profile:

UCSF MD/PhD
STEP 1: 200/82
Extensive research with over 10 publications, half first-author

Members don't see this ad.

FreddiMercuri said:
Hello everyone,

I was looking at all the stellar STEP 1 scores that many of the SDN users have been posting and realized the impending doom that my score potentially represents in terms of competitiveness to top-notch or even medium-range residencies. In fact, I feel like an idiot because my score is quite sub par compared to the national average. :scared: Fact is standardized exams are not my forte. I know that other things count, but in the end people say the hands-down #1 factor is the board exam score. Is that really true? And how do you find out if this so? I want to ask people their honest opinion of where I stand or what my chances are with my profile:

UCSF MD/PhD
STEP 1: 200/82
Extensive research with over 10 publications, half first-author

Dude, with an MD/PhD from UCSF and 5 first author pubs ? Yeah you're probably not going anywhere in life.

Seriously, in the research world, your research probably counts for more. In the clinical world, your research and phd background will set you apart and ahead of people who simply have numbers.

I think it depends on what fields you are interested in and which institution and contacts you have. From what last year's graduating class told me, some fields are more forgiving than others on board scores. A few friends in anesthesia and ER (which in their opinon is more competative than average, but not ultracompetative) was doable with better clinical grades and improvement on step 2.

On the other hand, a recent excerpt from the Ortho forum reads, "check out Bernstein et al. 84 (11): 2090. (2002) in JBJS. it gives a decent overview of importance of factors in selecting for ortho residency. you'll find that having a PhD ranks 17 out of 26 in importance--USMLE score is 2nd."

Although you mentioned that standardized tests are not your forte, some friends of mine improved their step 2 score and took it early so it was available for interviews.

I would go talk to the programs at your institution that you are interested in. Getting a spot at your home institution would likely be your best shot for a so called competative field. See what the residency directors tell you, many will be very candid and tell you if you have a shot or not/what to do to get a shot.

Good luck.
sscooterguy