Powerpoint quick review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amy73

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Is anyone out there using powerpoint slide presentations to help refresh material. I am searching for some material on physics/general chem. I am using bio slides to work with the main topics and it seems to be working!!
Bye
Amy

Members don't see this ad.

The tabletpcbuzz forum had a posting on how an individual was using power point slides for reviews. It's a great tool that's not used too often was the point of his posting.

There are other tools like mindmapping which essentially treats thoughts as a reverse tree hierarchy that you can move around relate, etc. I've not used this, but it does sound promising.

Hi There,
Thanks for the message. I just tried the Powerpoint for bio and it worked really well.. while hitting the main ideas well. I am looking for some things for the physcial sciences.
Thanks
Amy

I know what powerpoint is but are you talking about something web based or that you purchase for review?

Members don't see this ad :)
People usu consider this as they enter med school, but I'm thinking that it's probably useful even with pre-med classes. You may be already done with your pre-med classes so this may not be as useful - but here is my thought.

A (convertible) tablet pc would help capture non textual information with ease - e.g. diagrams, formulas (in PS), etc. The convertible aspects lets you type text in as I currently am but when I need a quick diagram I just merely draw it out on the screen. So now the information is in digital format and can be indexed, searched, auto summarized, etc.

Don't mean to be a Luddite, but how is that different from using color-coded flashcards?

Y_Marker said:
People usu consider this as they enter med school, but I'm thinking that it's probably useful even with pre-med classes. You may be already done with your pre-med classes so this may not be as useful - but here is my thought.

A (convertible) tablet pc would help capture non textual information with ease - e.g. diagrams, formulas (in PS), etc. The convertible aspects lets you type text in as I currently am but when I need a quick diagram I just merely draw it out on the screen. So now the information is in digital format and can be indexed, searched, auto summarized, etc.

silkworm said:
Don't mean to be a Luddite, but how is that different from using color-coded flashcards?
its different bc it only costs $1.99 for index cards vs 1000x as much..duh! :p

Hi
What I am talking about is powerpoint presentations on stuff like cell reproduction etc..just similar to the lecture slides that teachers use. I had taken a course with a cell bio instructor who used a lot of computer presentations and had very well made slides. I am using those for bio review and am amazed as to how well it works for qucik review. Yeah one could do the same with color coded flashcards too.. but this is just another way... plus these could be accessed from anywhere if one could host these online. I was hoping to find similar slides for physics/chem. I am close to the august mcat and am hoping to find some material for these subjects.
Thanks for the intrest.
Bye
Amy

DieselPetrolGrl said:
its different bc it only costs $1.99 for index cards vs 1000x as much..duh! :p

Harder to surf the net on $1.99 cards during those special times in class...he he :D

Really, though, it is fairly uncommon these somewhat iconoclaustic views on tablets/convertibles and everyother gadget and gizmo out there as they relate to the academic experience. As a matter of fact most schools require one of these contraptions (even set aside money in the FA package) though they are more common at the grad school level than in UG.

I'll save the discussion that's already QED at tabletpcbuzz.com. My own 2 cents on the matter (which is probably 0,64 cents in this economy): Part if it, IMHO, may also be exposure. The only stack of cards, I've ever used had 52 cards in them :) I remember my old man carrying a stack of cards with him - he'd also get mad when I re-arranged them. :D Moreover, my handwriting sux (a natural MD you say eh?). Also tools like mindmapping (check it out from mindjet.com I think) requires those lil bundles of warmth.

Finally, ahh the good ole saying true (I feel) on any change:

"Change is inevitable
Progress is optional"

Take Care,
-Y_Marker