PR vs. citizenship admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skarl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edited for privacy.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Noooo! You have the same rights when it comes to education/loans. Nothing will be closed to you, don’t worry about that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
That is reassuring to hear. Just to confirm @Goro @LizzyM, you don't think it would have a significant impact/be a benefit my application to wait until I am a US citizen? I can't help feeling like it would but your advice is probably more insightful than my speculations.

That is reassuring to hear. Just to confirm @Goro @LizzyM, you don't think it would have a significant impact/be a benefit my application to wait until I am a US citizen? I can't help feeling like it would but your advice is probably more insightful than my speculations.
My school doesn't take internationals, only US citizens and green card holders.

If you were do do a little research and look at what the pertinent requirements are at a number of med schools, you'll find that you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user

I don’t understand why it would be. It’s not like you’re gonna be joining quantico!

I think my recent perception of being inferior/different along with bias from my family regarding the importance of obtaining a citizenship has made me paranoid about the impacts of my non-citizenship on something I have always striven for (acceptance to a US medical school). The advice is reassuring, thanks to all that helped!

I think my recent perception of being inferior/different along with bias from my family regarding the importance of obtaining a citizenship has made me paranoid about the impacts of my non-citizenship on something I have always striven for (acceptance to a US medical school). The advice is reassuring, thanks to all that helped!

I always see green card as being the same except you can’t vote and you can’t work for Uncle Sam.

Given reports of what is happening to non-citizens, even those who are here legally, it is not a bad idea to become a citizen as soon as possible but it is not essential for admission to medical school.

I always see green card as being the same except you can’t vote and you can’t work for Uncle Sam.
Don't you consider joining the military to be working for Uncle Sam? Green card holders can sign up for military service unless they previously enlisted in another country's armed forces.

Don't you consider joining the military to be working for Uncle Sam? Green card holders can sign up for military service unless they previously enlisted in another country's armed forces.

At one point (until 2016 I think) they accepted foreigners as well. They need them, that’s why!

You will be alright as a green-card holder applying to med schools. I was in a similar position as you many years ago (for college applications).

On a side note, it is VERY difficult to "revoke" a permanent residency and you need major legal cause. And from my understanding, the only legal "cause" is if you physically live outside of the country majority of the time or if you commit a very serious crime (think selling state secrets or hacking into government facilities). Immigration policies, even if they are ever-changing in today's political climate, shouldn't and won't affect permanent residents (especially cause you have had it for a while!) significantly. Becoming a permanent resident of the United States is already a very difficult thing to do. There is a reason why they are granted out in 10-year terms and the renewal process is essentially just a fee lol. The step up from that to citizenship is relatively straight-forward and obviously permanent.