1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

PR vs Kaplan vs AAMC practice MCATs

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by ermonty, Jun 15, 2002.

1. ermonty

ermonty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was wondering which you guys/gals think are the toughest. I've taken Kaplan and PR so far (won't start the AAMC for several weeks yet). Thus far the PR has been the toughest for me. I took a PR test today and got 10V 9P 8B, which is 3-4 points lower than on the Kaplan tests I've been taking. It could have someting to do with the fact that I use Kaplan review materials to study by. Hmmm? :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctor Octopus

Doctor Octopus Hospitalist
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I never took any PR tests, but I found aamc 1-6 to be easier than Kaplan 1-5 to be easier than Kaplan 6-9.

4. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think that the Kaplan exams are more realistic than the PR ones, but people I know who take Princeton scored similarly on the real MCAT as they did on the diags by PR, as did those in Kaplan. You really should do those AAMC ones also if you can.

In other words, practice, practice, practice, anything you can get your hands on.

5. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I took the tpr course and I think the pr tests are much more knowledge based than the aamc tests and the actual mcat, which test more reading comprehension and critical thinking. I did much better on the real mcat than on any of the pr tests, but I think the aamc tests just a week or two before test day are very close indicators.

6. WonderBoy

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    AAMC tests are a must, PR and Kaplan are pretty much on par.
    AAMC>PR>Kaplan

7. streetdoc

streetdoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i took kaplan before the april 2002 mcat. i was scoring V 9-10, PS 6-7, BS 8-10.
    i was also taking AAMC tests and scoring V 9-10, PS 7-8, BS 9-11.
    i ended up with V 9, PS 8, BS 10 on the real mcat.
    so aamc was a pretty good indicator for me.
    it is important that your scores be consistant on the practice tests. if you're jumping all around, then something is wrong.
    and be sure not to over estimate your score. if you look and see that you made an 13 by one question, don't expect that on test day. i guess what i'm saying is be realistic. now what was the question?
    streetdoc

8. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

I have heard that PR test are made harder so you don't slck off and study more, while Kaplan are somewhat easier. Some teachers told me that there tests are easier so the students don't get discouraged. I think that's a bad idea becasue it tricks people into thinking that they will do better on the test than they probally will!

9. Doctor Octopus

Doctor Octopus Hospitalist
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by exigente chica:
    <strong>I have heard that PR test are made harder so you don't slck off and study more, while Kaplan are somewhat easier. Some teachers told me that there tests are easier so the students don't get discouraged. I think that's a bad idea becasue it tricks people into thinking that they will do better on the test than they probally will!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I disagree. Kaplan Physical was way harder than any of the aamc practice tests. Kaplan verbal, in my opinion, was somewhat harder than aamc practice tests, and Kaplan Bio was slightly harder than aamc.

10. ermonty

ermonty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    mws99,
    I'm beginning to see what you mean about the aamc vs PR/kaplan materials. Though I've not yet taken an AAMC test, I have completed the AAMC practice items booklet for verbal, physical & biological, and I kicked butt on them (&gt;12's). The reason I did so well on them as compared to the kaplan/PR tests is that the AAMC stuff is definently more analytical (and I can deal with that!) and the kap/PR tests do require one to have much more scientific knowledge on hand. Hopefully the AAMC tests (and the actual MCAT) are, as others have said, also very analytical and less science knowledge based! :p