PR vs Kaplan vs AAMC practice MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ermonty

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which you guys/gals think are the toughest. I've taken Kaplan and PR so far (won't start the AAMC for several weeks yet). Thus far the PR has been the toughest for me. I took a PR test today and got 10V 9P 8B, which is 3-4 points lower than on the Kaplan tests I've been taking. It could have someting to do with the fact that I use Kaplan review materials to study by. Hmmm? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I think that the Kaplan exams are more realistic than the PR ones, but people I know who take Princeton scored similarly on the real MCAT as they did on the diags by PR, as did those in Kaplan. You really should do those AAMC ones also if you can.

In other words, practice, practice, practice, anything you can get your hands on.

I took the tpr course and I think the pr tests are much more knowledge based than the aamc tests and the actual mcat, which test more reading comprehension and critical thinking. I did much better on the real mcat than on any of the pr tests, but I think the aamc tests just a week or two before test day are very close indicators.

Members don't see this ad :)
i took kaplan before the april 2002 mcat. i was scoring V 9-10, PS 6-7, BS 8-10.
i was also taking AAMC tests and scoring V 9-10, PS 7-8, BS 9-11.
i ended up with V 9, PS 8, BS 10 on the real mcat.
so aamc was a pretty good indicator for me.
it is important that your scores be consistant on the practice tests. if you're jumping all around, then something is wrong.
and be sure not to over estimate your score. if you look and see that you made an 13 by one question, don't expect that on test day. i guess what i'm saying is be realistic. now what was the question?
streetdoc

I have heard that PR test are made harder so you don't slck off and study more, while Kaplan are somewhat easier. Some teachers told me that there tests are easier so the students don't get discouraged. I think that's a bad idea becasue it tricks people into thinking that they will do better on the test than they probally will!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by exigente chica:
•I have heard that PR test are made harder so you don't slck off and study more, while Kaplan are somewhat easier. Some teachers told me that there tests are easier so the students don't get discouraged. I think that's a bad idea becasue it tricks people into thinking that they will do better on the test than they probally will!•••••I disagree. Kaplan Physical was way harder than any of the aamc practice tests. Kaplan verbal, in my opinion, was somewhat harder than aamc practice tests, and Kaplan Bio was slightly harder than aamc.

mws99,
I'm beginning to see what you mean about the aamc vs PR/kaplan materials. Though I've not yet taken an AAMC test, I have completed the AAMC practice items booklet for verbal, physical & biological, and I kicked butt on them (>12's). The reason I did so well on them as compared to the kaplan/PR tests is that the AAMC stuff is definently more analytical (and I can deal with that!) and the kap/PR tests do require one to have much more scientific knowledge on hand. Hopefully the AAMC tests (and the actual MCAT) are, as others have said, also very analytical and less science knowledge based! :p