Practical DAT Test Day Experience & Breakdown (23AA/22PAT/23TS) by a First-time (& Last-time) Taker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elder_Citrus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow predental peeps of SDN. I have been a long-time lurker on this forum since the very day I signed up for the DAT. I wrote my exam about a month ago and I was quite happy about the result:

AA 23, PAT 22, TS 23, BIO 23, GC 28, OC 20, RC 21, QR 23

Prep time: 2 months 13 days following DAT Booster's 2021 Study Schedule (with slight modification)
-I followed the schedule for the most part and supplemented daily Anki practice (200 cards daily) and Chad's Prep.

Intro:

I am well aware of the high achievers with AA as high as 28-29 out there and kudos to you guys for being my daily dose of motivation during my study phase. I have never deemed myself an excellent test taker among my peers partly because I'm easily anxious, so I am willing to help those who are in the same boat to go from knowing virtually nothing about the test all the way towards a decent score. That said, this post is dedicated to people like myself who don't have quite the knack for standardized testing or those who wonder what the real test experience is like. I wish to make this breakdown as practical and useful as possible. I will then cover: how to go about which resources I used, strategies I recommend, nuances you should be aware of on test day, and my perception of each section (the latter of which I would argue is equally important to content knowledge).

Briefly, some background info:

Currently a junior at a public state school, majoring in psychobiology and minors in Scandinavian and Linguistics (tGPA 3.96, sGPA ~3.91). I took all my prereqs prior to studying for the DAT yet frankly, I did not retain much info especially from my Ochem 1 and 2. The tradeoff of online school is real. My bio knowledge was OK but not the best. QR and Gchem are my forte, though I wish I had practiced more for the former.

Test day and Prometric's system

Let's start with the most worrisome part (at least for me). I constantly questioned whether Booster/Bootcamp's systems simulated the real test well plus how the whole thing is gonna work. Again, test centers will be different for most yet there are generalizable aspects.
My test center was not so crowded and the atmosphere was frankly quite relaxing. You sign in by jotting down your legal name, putting your stuff in the locker, holding on to the key and waiting for the staff to call for your turn. My exam was scheduled at 8:00 a.m. but I got to start a tad bit earlier. That said, it depends on your test center.

Prior to entering the testing room (it was sufficiently soundproof), glasses/hoodie/pockets/masks will be checked, fingerprints and pictures taken and scanned like when you go through customs at airports; they will then give your the laminated sheets (erasable) and markers (I strongly suggest testing them out). I had to keep your mask on during the test but you can honestly pull it just a bit below your nose if you are wearing glasses since breathing can be difficult (if you know you know).

-All you have to bring along with you are two forms of IDs. For me, it was my driver's license and debit card (primary and secondary ID). Your passport could also work in lieu of a driver's license. There's no need to print anything out or bring any other items.
-You should also grab some snacks as well as bottled water. IMO a backpack isn't even necessary, zipper bags should suffice (IDs, snacks, water, and your phone).
-You definitely should take the 30 min section break after the PAT section. Relax your eyes to prevent fatigue during RC, use the restroom, etc. You can only access your locker during the break. Some test centers allowed phone access during the break but mine specifically stated not to. Track your break time. Unlike BootCamp or Booster's practice exams, the timer starts as soon as the break ends.
-After you finish, you can either do or skip the survey (which took like 2 mins instead of 15 for me) and the scores will just pop up on the screen. The test center will print out the report for you assuming no technical difficulties, then you sign out after registering your fingerprint & signature.

**Booster/Bootcamp did equally a good job on simulating the test system, but there are certain differences to note so that you won't be caught off guard:**

-There is a notable time delay when you go from question to question, about half a second on average and it shouldn't be too big of a bother. Yet if you were a test taker who's prone to mark/skip around, this is something good to take notes on.
-You can't skip to individual questions, only "marked", "skipped", or "all" were the options on the review page. Similar to the above, something to take notice
-Bootcamp's RC formatting is slightly more accurate in terms of question/passage placement. "Paragraphs above, questions below. Every time you move to the next page the passage goes back on top". *Disclaimer, I only used Bootcamp's free content so not an affiliate or anything, and will probably rid of this tip when I post on Reddit just because lol.
-All other sections are formatted similarly to that of Booster/Bootcamp.

Resources I Utilized (& budget):
-Paid resources: DAT Booster (~$220 for 3 months after discount), DAT+Math Destroyer 2021 (~$200), Chad's DAT Prep ($30 for one month; 5 practice exams in each category except RC and PAT and an extensive question bank)
-Free resources: DAT Bootcamp's free content (notes & sheets from each subject, practice exam, TFE generator since Booster doesn't have one), Chad's videos, Organic Chemistry Tutor's OChem videos.
Total Cost: $450

-Essentials: DAT Booster & Bootcamp. I personally only subscribed to Booster for 90 days due to budget issues. Booster is the go-to if you are looking for a comprehensive review and decent practice materials. Again, Booster is relatively new and certain sections are still being developed (their bio videos are great and high yield, but not every single chapter of DAT Bio is covered; their notes are really good though), while Bootcamp's material is a bit older but still makes good practice (more questions). If budget allows, I suggest getting both.

**Do the Bootcamp warmup questions daily! **

-Supplements: Chad's Prep & DAT/Math Destroyer. I went through Destroyer one time in every section but didn't really complete them for a second time. Instead, I bought Chad's question banks for a month. Both are good practices yet not as representative as the above two (contain harder questions compared to the real thing). I would purchase Chad's Prep and Math Destroyer as a combo.

By Sections:
**Regardless of which section, I watched every single booster vid with note-taking, did all extra questions and timed practice exams for each section, went through marked/unmarked questions at least twice, and read the printed notes at least twice**

Biology (23): Booster was representative, although at least in my case, you shouldn't bank on only the practice exams but rather diversify your resources. I expected a higher score in this section personally considering how much time I dedicated, wish I would've done Chad's bio Qbank once more. My test had several epigenetic questions but no endocrine stuff (which I studied a ton on) at all. Make sure you solidify all concepts, the difficulty was about the same as Booster.

General Chem (28): I got a 5 on AP Chem in high school and my gen chem classes in college were rigorous enough. I didn't stress too much about the section. Don't worry about calculations, just know how to sort and manipulate the parameters of equations.

Organic Chem (20): The score was kind of expected since I was lackluster at best for my ochem 1 and 2. If you know the reactions and trends by heart you're golden.

Reading Comp (21): Sooo this was a bit awkward since I am actually a voracious reader myself. I even went out of my way to read 2 scientific articles on avg for the two months. The first two articles are easy claps (16 paragraphs and 8 paragraphs, length didn't matter much, but rather the type of questions) since the questions were all direct recall, no tone craps whatsoever. I had about 25 minutes left when I got to the third article, which wasn't super long either (9 paragraphs) but the questions were brutal af: a compound of "which statement was supported by what" things like that. I got caught off guard big time, probably also due to my stamina being lacking, had to guess on the last few questions.

Quant. Reasoning (23): Questions felt easier than Booster's. Make sure to double-check if you've read the questions correctly THEN move on because you cannot skip around easily as you do on Booster's. I didn't run into any geometry-related qs but that could be just me.

PAT (22): Use Booster/Bootcamps' generators daily and time yourself. It took me a while to get the hang of the question types, persistence is the key. I had some rock keyhole questions btw.

The above is all I can share off the top of my head. Feel free to dm for any further inquiries.
Skärmbild (302).png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Your scores are excellent and will get you interviews at a lot of schools. Thanks for the detailed breakdown and I wish you the very best in your journey to becoming a dentist.

Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers

Reactions: 1 user
What in your opinion is the best anki deck for biology?
I didn't have a chance to try out the new booster Anki deck as it was updated after my DAT. But if I were to compare the old Feralis deck and the BootCamp ones (divided into chapters), the latter is much more comprehensive.

Members don't see this ad :)