Practical program advantages/disadvantages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FMJS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I am applying in this PTCAS 2012 cycle and have a final career goal of being a physiotherapist for a soccer or rugby club in the US or abroad. I know it's a very competitive and small group of therapists, and thus thought a good first step would be to attend a DPT program which is very practical experience-based.

I know many programs are requiring increasing amounts of research to further professionalize the field - and I'm not anxious about research at all, but would seeking out practical-focus programs be worth it at this step? Is it almost COMPLETELY dependent on my affiliation experiences, so the school focus is not that important?

Thanks a lot in advance - choosing schools based on their web page info hasn't been too productive.

Members don't see this ad.

Can't offer too much advice at this point in my experience but..........some schools are more focused on research and others are not. Dig into those web sites more, search out students, talk w/ prof in the field and you will find your info. and help you w/ your school choice. You might be able to do some pracitcal experiences in your area of interest if the program allows some flexibility in the clinic schedule, or do extra volunteer, observation hours in the sports area.

I'm not sure if there's much correlation between a school's affiliation network, and its graduate's chance to work for a professional sports team. I have a friend who has worked for a professional team, and I have worked with physicians who have held the "team doctor" role for other pro teams. From their experiences, it's really about who you know and timing more than anything.

Let me put it this way: do you think a new DPT grad with 37 weeks of clinical is more likely to get a job with the LA Galaxy than one with 34 weeks of clinicals?

In my program the popular clinicals like those go quickly in the lottery system, so you may want to think twice before deciding on a school solely because they're affiliated with a pro soccer team.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses - the advisers I've spoken with in programs have been predictably diplomatic in how they describe their programs though - not a bad thing, but not unexpected.

HOUSEDPT - I've heard that point about high-profile/high-appeal clinical sites being picked rapidly in the lotteries from PT's at my observation sites, which also isn't surprising.

In your experiences so far, how open are programs to students forging ahead to create their own clinical opportunity? I have several connections in the professional athletics world, an plan to utilize them in school, but have heard mixed things about schools allowing you to do clinicals outside of their affiliation "networks."

Maybe you should contact each program directly and ask their DCE how feasible it'd be to establish that relationship.

Thanks for the responses - the advisers I've spoken with in programs have been predictably diplomatic in how they describe their programs though - not a bad thing, but not unexpected.

HOUSEDPT - I've heard that point about high-profile/high-appeal clinical sites being picked rapidly in the lotteries from PT's at my observation sites, which also isn't surprising.

In your experiences so far, how open are programs to students forging ahead to create their own clinical opportunity? I have several connections in the professional athletics world, an plan to utilize them in school, but have heard mixed things about schools allowing you to do clinicals outside of their affiliation "networks."

This is a ridiculously late response, and I'm sorry for it. In my experience, the school has never limited any clinical opportunities. The limiting factor is almost always the potential affiliation. Dream big, man, and let the chips fall where they may.

With that said, be smart about where you set the clinical up. As cool as working in the professional athletic world will be, is it their first time having a PT student? It's usually a bumpy ride for the trailblazer. Also, will that type of setting allow you to fulfill the needed hours to qualify as a clinical?