• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Practice as a Dental Hygienist

Nowreen

Feb 16, 2016
    Hi,
    I have earned BDS (Bachelor of dental surgery) degree from Bangladesh. I want to practice as a dental hygienist in US. What are steps to get a license here? Also, do I need to complete any additional courses for that?

Thank you for your help!

nbdedental

7+ Year Member
    May 6, 2011
      As far as I know, in most states, there is no advantage or preference given if you are a foreign-trained dentist. You have to do your pre-requisites (about two years), apply for Dental Hygiene schools (very competitive), get admitted, study for two years and then give board exams.

I am not certain but there are states where based on your foreign diploma you can work as a dental hygienist but only after passing NBDE part 1 and 2.

Maybe others can chime in.

About the Ads

ourlovestory

5+ Year Member
      Oct 7, 2015
      1. Dentist
        As far as I know, the only state that allow foreign trained dentists to practice as dental hygienist with minimal requirements is Florida. Check their website for dental hygiene licenses. All other states require a minimum of 2 years of dental hygiene program, etc.
        Again, you will need to decide which state you want to work at, then do the research for their requirements.
        I hope this help! Good Luck!

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.