Practice as a Dental Hygienist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nowreen

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I have earned BDS (Bachelor of dental surgery) degree from Bangladesh. I want to practice as a dental hygienist in US. What are steps to get a license here? Also, do I need to complete any additional courses for that?

Thank you for your help!
 
As far as I know, in most states, there is no advantage or preference given if you are a foreign-trained dentist. You have to do your pre-requisites (about two years), apply for Dental Hygiene schools (very competitive), get admitted, study for two years and then give board exams.

I am not certain but there are states where based on your foreign diploma you can work as a dental hygienist but only after passing NBDE part 1 and 2.

Maybe others can chime in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As far as I know, the only state that allow foreign trained dentists to practice as dental hygienist with minimal requirements is Florida. Check their website for dental hygiene licenses. All other states require a minimum of 2 years of dental hygiene program, etc.
Again, you will need to decide which state you want to work at, then do the research for their requirements.
I hope this help! Good Luck!
 
Hi Guys, I have oraqix kit which you need for your hygienist licence exam (patient). Let me know if anyone is interested in it.