Practice as a Dental Hygienist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nowreen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have earned BDS (Bachelor of dental surgery) degree from Bangladesh. I want to practice as a dental hygienist in US. What are steps to get a license here? Also, do I need to complete any additional courses for that?

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

i have same question if you know some thing about that let me know please.

As far as I know, in most states, there is no advantage or preference given if you are a foreign-trained dentist. You have to do your pre-requisites (about two years), apply for Dental Hygiene schools (very competitive), get admitted, study for two years and then give board exams.

I am not certain but there are states where based on your foreign diploma you can work as a dental hygienist but only after passing NBDE part 1 and 2.

Maybe others can chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, the only state that allow foreign trained dentists to practice as dental hygienist with minimal requirements is Florida. Check their website for dental hygiene licenses. All other states require a minimum of 2 years of dental hygiene program, etc.
Again, you will need to decide which state you want to work at, then do the research for their requirements.
I hope this help! Good Luck!

I don't Know if try to Hygienist, because NBDE are to hard and expensive all process to DDS

Hi Guys, I have oraqix kit which you need for your hygienist licence exam (patient). Let me know if anyone is interested in it.