Practice Fusion or Valant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atilla

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been evaluating EMR's for my private practice and have narrowed it down to Practice Fusion and Valant.

Anyone has been using either of these care to share their experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard good things from both. I know several private practice docs in town that use Valant and are satisfied with it. Their customer support staff seem very responsive.

I've decided to use Practice Fusion for my private practice because it's free and I've heard good things about it. As I am setting it up though, I have noticed some awkward features here and there. Reading their online forums they do not seem to be very responsive to complaints from providers either. However, it's free and paid for by advertising! :D

Check the rules in your state. I'm in a small group and the practice manager looked into practice fusion but their prescription software doesn't comply with the state regulations here (WA). I think it was something very basic, like the two signature lines for "dispense as written" or "generic substitution permitted." I looked at practice fusion and found their templates annoying and not very useful for psych, but maybe I didn't spend enough time on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've (as a med student) worked with a psychiatrist, FP, and GI-doc who used practice fusion. (Colorado and Minnesota)
It's a decent enough system. Easy to use. You gotta go back at your notes and look up what you diagnosed the patient with. I don't think there's a place where you can just see all the cumulative diagnoses nor h/o medications, if I recall correctly. The Practice fusion system does make the linking to labs and prescriptions e-sending easy once you learn the shortcuts like "tab" and also just entering "t" when you want to choose "tablets." An annoying this is that the system will let you send controlled substances through, but the pharmacist just gets something useless that they can't fill and they aren't sure where it came from or something. So you just have to remember to write out the controlled substances ones. There is this nifty Rx printer you can hook up to the system that will print out in your office that you need special expensive paper for...which then you just sign and give to your patient, and have it all documented in the records. It is also really annoying to have to check off on all the "contraindications."

My FP could get through charting while in the patient room. He'd just put the billing level code at the end of the "P" for ease of billing.
My psychiatrist was a bit computer illiterate, so it was more challenging. With the general template just "S" "O" 'A" "P" though, it kinda flowed into how my doc was used to writing. As a one person private practice, she could use the scheduling function without any issues. For anyone in a group practice, I think they have a new-ish function where you can see everyone's schedule on one calendar...but I"m not sure. There wasn't an ability to just make a set of pre-set checkboxes to check-off on signs/sx which then would populate a nice sentence unfortunately...so it definitely isn't a nice fancy Epic EMR system.

The scanning files in thing is also pretty easy and signing off and assigning files to patients is also pretty simple to do.

Cons: when a winter storm takes out your internet....you don't have access to your charts cuz there isn't an ability to auto-store a backup in your own facility. =(

Customer Service: When I set up my own experimental practice fusion thing, they actually had someone call me to make sure I was doing alright with it. So it seemed pretty responsive.

Thanks for the input. I am going with practice fusion for now. Will try to post a review in a few months.

Any updates on this? I am debating on a good EMR for private practice, and not sure which one of these EMRs will be good for psychiatry. So far, I've heard of Valant, Allscript, and Practice Fusion. Can you please post what EMR you are using and what your experience has been so far?

Fair warning that the Practice Fusion terms of service are that the entirety of your database, which is housed by PF, will be mined and reports generated from the data after it has been stripped of unique identifiers.

This may cause problems in some states or with some organizations for privacy laws (similar to Google Voice). It also may present individual ethical challenges, as PF is directly contributing to Big Pharma (to whom it charges money for said reports to help them target market advertisements).

Thank you for your note notdeadyet. Any suggestions on EMRs for psychiatry? I am okay with paying for one, but not sure which EMR will be a good fit for psychiatry.

Nope. You can actually pay for Practice Fusion to get rid of the ads, but they won't relinquish rights tor running reports off of your patient data. That was a deal-killer for me.

I have no great insights and am very curious how this discussion evolves.

Any other comments about these EMRs or other ones for private practice?