Practice in foreign countries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floydfloyd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if getting a PharmD in the US qualifies one to work in other countries too? Which ones? Do they have similar job descriptions?

(Canada doesn't count)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if getting a PharmD in the US qualifies one to work in other countries too? Which ones? Do they have similar job descriptions?

(Canada doesn't count)

The UK is a no no for US pharmacists, they have removed Pharmacy from the preferential visa status as, just like the US, they are opening schools of pharmacy on every street corner. If you did manage to get here on some other visa eg marriage, fiancé type visa you would have to do a 1year OSPAP course at school and another 1 year internship before you were licensed to practice. Yeah it sucks.

(Canada doesn't count)

I think Alaska still accepts US PharmD's. Big sign-on bonuses up there too.

Members don't see this ad :)
My buddy had it all figured out. New Zealand. Small country in need of pharmacists. About the population of PHX metro area for whole country. Speak English. You would have to go to London, NZ or Sydney to take their equivalency test. Make about 60-70k-ish USD equivalent a year.

The best part: student loans are civil debt. Hypothetically speaking (of course;)) you could go to NZ and throw the loans to the wind. This would burn bridges in the US, but they wouldn't extradite or come after you for $$, hypothetically of course.:D

ETA grammar and: Lord of the Rings was filmed there. Make sure you watch "The Hobbit" this December

For most European countries, the answer is no and no. I suppose underdeveloped countries would be more welcoming...

My buddy had it all figured out. New Zealand. Small country in need of pharmacists. About the population of PHX metro area for whole country. Speak English. You would have to go to London, NZ or Sydney to take their equivalency test. Make about 60-70k-ish USD equivalent a year.

The best part: student loans are civil debt. Hypothetically speaking (of course;)) you could go to NZ and throw the loans to the wind. This would burn bridges in the US, but they wouldn't extradite or come after you for $$, hypothetically of course.:D

ETA grammar and: Lord of the Rings was filmed there. Make sure you watch "The Hobbit" this December

I've heard that nearby Australia has a surplus of pharmacists though. Plus, you are liable for income tax payments to the US and New Zealand if you tried that until you renounced your citizenship.

In third-world countries a PharmD wouldn't be enough. They will make you take their dumb tests and do a lot of paperwork and pay a lot of bribes before they give you a license.
You could, however, walk into any pharmacy and start practicing because no one ever bothers to check credentials.

+1 to New Zeland. I found about this about a year ago and have been giving it some thought. All they require is and eq. exam as they recognize the US PharmD. Money good too. And if your running away from 100k plus debt, income tax isn't the only thing stopping you from coming back to the US. That being said, if your cool with never coming back, seems doable...

PS check their website for info. They seem to state that they are too becoming surplussed.

I'm pretty sure NZ and Australia requires pharmacist supervised training < 500hrs in addition to the equivalence exam to become licensed in those countries.