Practice MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO4sure

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone...I took a free practice MCAT that was offered by Kaplan. I received a 17...I am so disappointed. I answer 71% of the questions right on the verbal but my scaled score was a 4!!!! That seems so ridiculous to me. I am wondering if I should still sit for the April MCAT...I need some advice!

Members don't see this ad.

That 4 simply tells you that everyone who got 5-13+ had more than 71% right when they took that test. In other words - yep, it can happen. Kaplan scores their practice tests from the students who take them, just like the MCAT. As for whether you should take it? I'd say yes- IF you are willing to put in the time it takes to succeed. If studying will come last on your priority list (or even lower than 1st) then, I would wait. However, you CAN study and do well on April's test by starting now. With most students, Verbal is the hardest to increase. Feel free to PM me with questions (I teach for Kaplan, btw). Good luck!!

Just so you know most people score low on the diagnostic. You should go on pre-allopathy forum and do a search on kaplan and mcat scores, you will find that you are not alone. By the way I also scored 17 on my diagnostic.
Goodluck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your replies. I have been and will continue to put my studying 1st!!! I find that when I look at physical science passages..I freeze! I would appreciate any help you can give ATC2MD :clap: I think I need to work on strategy the most...also I think I should give you my history. I took the MCAT back in '97 when I had not finished my physics or organic courses. I was pretty wet behind the ears and instead of taking a few practice ones, i jumped in and took the real thing and totally panicked(7 V, 5PS, 4 BS & Q )big mistake . So my diagnostic this time as I mentioned before ( 4V, 7BS, 5PS) I am studying real hard for this but I get so discouraged!

jddorsey--
Dont' sweat it. It is a practice MCAT, meaning just that. Sure it is a very good representation of the actual test, but it isnt an indication of how you will do. There are multiple versions of the MCAT, and sometimes a group of students get one that is harder than the rest. That is just the way that it works out. I didnt do very well on my practice one either.
Actually I didnt do that well on my actual MCAT....I got a 21 (5V, 8PS, 8BS, N). I am attending UHS this fall.
That just goes to show you that the MCAT isnt everything, but if you have a good score, along with experiences and grades, you will have an easier time than I did.

Good luck

Chris