"Practice Oriented" Clinical programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Randypants1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have searched and read pretty extensively on this subject. I have the insiders guide as a resource and as I said have also read/followed pretty extensively here.

I am looking at programs that are more practice oriented and was looking for anyone with any guidance or ideally personal experience in these programs.

Would very much appreciate with/or...

Also just to get this out of the way and hopefully to avoid the "if all you are interested in is clinical work go do an msw/mft" response I have seen frequently:

I am interested in practicing psychology to be sure. I am equally interested in teaching psychology. I am very passionate about learning and teaching and hope to one day teach as an adjunct/lecturer at a university. Beyond this I desire the ability to perform testing as I am considering work in fields that might require this.

Again thank you for any insight/advice!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Forgot to add the programs I am considering:

UAB Clinical
Idaho State Clinical
Detroit Mercy Clinical
South Dakota Clinical
Wisconsin Milwaukee Clinical
Oklahoma State Clinical

Indiana Counseling
Texas Tech Counseling
Buffalo Counseling
Utah State Counseling

Forgot to add the programs I am considering:

UAB Clinical
Idaho State Clinical
Detroit Mercy Clinical
South Dakota Clinical
Wisconsin Milwaukee Clinical
Oklahoma State Clinical

Indiana Counseling
Texas Tech Counseling
Buffalo Counseling
Utah State Counseling

To be honest, I only know a little bit about a few of the clinical programs on your list of interest, but I would say that even if all the programs on your clinical list might be either balanced or slightly lean towards the clinical end of the spectrum they are wildly different in terms of orientation, costs, and focus areas.

For example, University of Detroit Mercy is well known for being psychodynamic and also not offering their students very much financial support (if any at all), while UWM tends toward the evidence based/cbt models and offers all their students assistantships or fellowships and associated tuition remission.

But, for what it is worth, even though I have not personally attended any of the clinical schools on your list, I looked at several when I was an applicant and I know of faculty and/or students at UDM, UWM and UAB. From those in the programs at UWM and UAB I have heard mostly positive things which has given me the impression that they are great programs that offer phenomenal clinical training :) The reviews I have heard on UDM are mixed- and it is an awful lot of debt load to carry. Also- they give off a terrible impression during the interview (not that this is always a good gauge, but I tend to think that the interview is when you are trying to put your best foot forward, and if you come off poorly at the interview it does not bode well for how I start to image the next 5 years of my life!)

Best of luck in your search! I hope you find what you are looking for :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!

To be honest I had been considering research matches and research/practice balance and I suppose I failed to consider orientations. I am not very interested in a heavily psychodynamic program (nor debt for that matter) so I guess I may have to axe Detroit mercy.

I would also be interested in hearing any other peoples experiences in programs with good clinical focus that have faculty engaged in health outcome/substance abuse related research

University North Dakota Clinical
Eastern Michigan University Clinical
University of Montana Clinical

University of Tennessee-Knoxville (lots of psychodynamic supervision available, as well as CBT). Couple of labs focused on substance use, one clinical practicum focused on substance use.