Practice Question for Statin/Gemfibrozil Interaction

Started by RX8
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RX8

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been seeing A LOT of patients that are on a statin as well as gemfibrozil. In school I always was taught to have the gemfibrozil changed to another agent, or to never combine the two due to an increased risk of myopathy.

In the real world, how many of you see this interaction and do nothing? I have such a strong impulse to call the doctor to suggest a change but other pharmacists I've talked to said that it wasn't necessary.

I just wanted to get some thoughts out there from some of you, thanks!
 
Depends on the dose. The dose of the statin has to be a max of simvastatin 20 mg or it's equivalent..... Higher doses get the call & the recommendation....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
happens everyday, and if you call to verify they're like "uh yeah, he needs it" as if you're stupid and couldn't possibly understand why they be prescribed together.

Educate the patient, tell them what to look for. (and yes, in school I also learned that you never ever ever do them together, but as you'll find out, school is full of shat)
 
Depends on the dose. The dose of the statin has to be a max of simvastatin 20 mg or it's equivalent..... Higher doses get the call & the recommendation....

Agreed. Of note, fluvastatin does not require a dosage adjustment but all the other statins do.
 
Good to know, thanks guys. I've seen it time after time and it always pops up as a "major" interaction which gives me more pause for concern than normal.