Practice Scores Going Down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strugstofunc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I truly don't know how to feel. Every practice exam I take is lower than the one I took the previous week. I'm frustrated because I can't seem to manage maintaining any score. The following scores are what I've received within the past month.

TPR Course Content Test = 503 (123/125/126/129)
TPR Course Content Test = 500 (124/125/125/126)
AAMC FL2 = 499 (126/123/125/125)
TPR Test 3 = 498 (124/123/124/127)

My test is in 20 days. I thought I would be seeing progress, but I'm constantly hit by blows. Starting to feel the effects of learned helplessness.

Any advice for someone digging a hole?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't take the test. Your AAMC full length is very predicative of what you will get. You should be getting 510+ before you take it if you are aiming for MD and 505+ if aiming for DO

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be afraid to push the test back. Do you feel strong with the foundations/content?

Push back the test date. You should also definitely be doing more FL's if you have access to them. I did a whole lot of FL's and it was worth it. I really showed no improvement on the first 9 FL's I did, always within 2 pts +/- of my avg then actually went down on the last 3, which were the AAMC FL's but then ended up scoring 5 points higher than my highest FL so you never know.

agree with the above to push MCAT test date back. It’s a really nerve wracking thing to take such an important 8 hour test, you really only want to do it when you are scoring in range of your goal score as a confidence boost.

Use 3rd party exams to gauge timing, and to identify content gaps, but don’t emphasize the score. Since the test is different from the AAMC, you want to look for a positive trend.

The low AAMC score indicates that you have content gaps (anything below a 127) and the low cars score indicates you need a better approach to reading/synthesizing info in the passages. Increasing your score here should help boost your other sections since all sections are CARS esque.

If I were in your shoes, I would take 2 months to do the following:
Day 1-30: complete AAMC section bank. This is hard as hell but it will give you an intro to their writing, question, and answer style. Do this under simulated MCAT conditions (59 questions in 95 minutes). Next, go through AAMC CARS q packs, again simulated MCAT conditions to get used to AAMC logic. Third, get a copy of UWorld, on Monday, take the equivalent of half the MCAT under timed conditions (cp/cars, bb/ps). It should take three hours to do. The next day, review all mistakes that you made and thoroughly review the content for each error. Your goal here is to identify content gaps. On Wednesday do another half MCAT, and repeat. Finally, I would do two practice MCATS, non AAMC twice over this month for timing and stamina building. Timing can be a huge factor on the MCAT. Some folks who struggle on practice tests fly through the exam while other who never had issues with time get hung up on a couple of questions and then need to rush. Practicing discipline here is essential.

Day 31-60: All AAMC all the time. Do a weekly timed MCAT. Thoroughly review all errors. Complete all q packs, repeat section bank and cars. What you’re looking to see is a gradual progression where your scores are increasing in each section. Make flash cards for errors that you make and explanations for why an answer is/is not correct.

Hardest thing to do is to push a test date back but I’ve had many friends approach test day hoping for a hail marry like increase of 7 points only to see their scores drop. You’ve got plenty of time to complete the MCAT. Good luck to you.

I'd push the test back. Start with reviewing content again cause there is some gaps. But if you want to do problems while doing this, do uworld it's the goat. Then back to the FL grind after doing the other aamc stuff like SBs.

I truly don't know how to feel. Every practice exam I take is lower than the one I took the previous week. I'm frustrated because I can't seem to manage maintaining any score. The following scores are what I've received within the past month.

TPR Course Content Test = 503 (123/125/126/129)
TPR Course Content Test = 500 (124/125/125/126)
AAMC FL2 = 499 (126/123/125/125)
TPR Test 3 = 498 (124/123/124/127)

My test is in 20 days. I thought I would be seeing progress, but I'm constantly hit by blows. Starting to feel the effects of learned helplessness.

Any advice for someone digging a hole?

Certainly agree with others wouldn't take and score this exam. If you were made of money (and lets be honest, some pre meds are) I would take and void the test. You already have the slot, get a taste of the real thing and regroup after.

If you are not made of money, then just follow everyone else's advice and push it back.

David D - USMLE and MCAT Tutor

Med School Tutors

Hello everyone!

Thank you guys for your responses. I appreciate the feedback. I ended up rescheduling for June 19th as COVID allowed for flexible rescheduling and no fees to do so.