1. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Practice test from Crack DAT PAT

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by summershimmer, May 15, 2008.

1. summershimmer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey I wanted an opinion about the Crack DAT PAT...I took a pat practice test today and got an 18, I was wondering if this is a good score? Thanks :)

2. alltheway

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It's an OK score which with more practice can make it go higher and get an excellent score. Good luck.

3. userah

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    any tips on how to tackle the pattern folding section?

4. la brat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It's easier when you don't forget that the paper is always folded away from you into the page (screen). Then, certain sides (shapes/patterns) cannot appear on the left or right of other sides; an analogy to this is a pair of enantiomers. The trick is to start with one answer choice (why not A?), pick a reference shape (one that's easiest to rotate in your mind if need be) and look for which shapes DO NOT belong to either the right or left side (easier than top/bottom for me). Eliminate answer choices until you arrive at the correct one (hopefully the one you started with to save time).

For symmetrical shapes like dice, you can look for opposite sides and then play the "can't be on the left/ can't be on the right" game.

For others, look for unique shapes of sides that only show up in one or two answer choices; this partially requires the sharp eye needed also in the keyhole section to distinguish slight differences in thickness, angles, ect. I believe this type is by far the easiest.

If I can think of some more tips, I'll post them

5. Kinda random, but at the testing center, can you tough the screen. I like to cover answers when I eliminate them. It also helps with angle ranking. Does anybody know for sure or can put a link to the guideline?

6. summershimmer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I find it somewhat helpful to make a grid of and then make dots where the paper folded---so I would first see where the holes are and make dots on my grid and then I would unfold and see where additional holes were made and make dots...hope this helps :)

7. DRHOYA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I also have this program. Is it me, or are the hole-punching questions on crack-dat-pat insane!!! Sometimes 4-5 holes are punched, and half folds!! Seems harder than anything else I've seen. Is there any correlation to the real test?

8. userah

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    oo okay. thanks for the tips. i'm gonna try that out tomm when i take another practice exam and see how it works out...