Practice Test this weekend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted600623

So my test date is 1/20 and I'm getting down to the final days of prep. I'm debating on whether to take a practice test this weekend or not. I took the AAMC sample test last weekend and have AAMC FL 1-3 left. My original plan was to take 1, 2, and 3 during the 3 weeks leading up to the exam but part of me wants to know where I'm at right now since these are the most accurate predictors of the real thing. My sample test score last weekend was estimated to be a 505 based on a couple of sample test converters. Should I take AAMC FL 1 this weekend or wait until a couple of weeks from now like my original plan?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you take a 3rd party FL this weekend? I know that NS has a 1/2 length diagnostic and a full length for free. I understand the temptation of wanting to do AAMC - but you've already done the sample test and can use that to identify weaknesses and build them up. I'd save the AAMC until last week of Dec/beginning of Jan, but that's just me!

I forgot to mention I’ve taken NS FL1 already as well. I also work full time during the week so I’m afraid if I save that FL until early January and do poorly I won’t have much time to review and work on weaknesses but maybe I’m just being paranoid.

You will not see a large improvement with 1 week of regular review. At most, you'll see a few points of improvement, and anything else would be due to test material variance.

If you are done with content review, then starting FLs would be a prudent decision provided you take two days to review the exam thoroughly, and then a few more days (up to a week) to review any apparent weaknesses revealed by your FL via additional discrete and passage practice. Taking an FL would give you additional insight to create your own FLs by compiling practice passages and discretes and completing them under exam conditions (timing, exam length, etc).

If I were in your position, I would do the following if content review was completed.
12/15: Break day
12/16: FL 3
12/17-18: Review FL3
12/19-21: Practice passages/discretes

12/22: Break day
12/23: Mock FL made up of randomly selected practice passages
12/24-25: Christmas. Eat, drink, be merry.
12/26-28: Review FL

12/29: Break day
12/30: Mock FL
12/31-1/1: Review FL
1/2-1/4: Practice Passages

1/5 Break day
1/6: FL 2
1/7-1/8: Review FL 2
1/9-1/11: Practice Passages

1/12: Break day
1/13: Practice drive to exam area, drive home and start FL 1
1/14-1/15: Review FL 1
1/16-1/17: Practice Passages

1/18: Have some fun, scout testing area conditions as if taking exam that day
1/19: Practice drive to exam area as if taking exam that day, DO NOTHING MCAT RELATED
1/20: Exam day, don't drink coffee