Practice test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbatsandwich

I like bats. I like sandwiches.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my pre-med society got some Princeton review rep to come in and talk to us at the last meeting. She announced that there will be a full-length practice test administered on Nov 3rd and only costs 5 bucks.

I've haven't even started actively studying for the MCAT and will be taking it in May. But I have gen chem 1/2 done, 1 semester of organic chemistry almost done, cell biology almost done, 1 semester of physics and a general psychology course done.Took gen bio 1/2 a long time ago. I signed up just because I think it might be useful to gauge how much I know content-wise, as well as get a feel for the length of the test/stamina etc.

Will this be a huge waste of time or do you think it might actually be useful? There's literally nothing to lose, besides 9 hours of my life that could be used studying for my actual courses. I'm taking 15 hours both semesters this year, so figuring out time to study for the MCAT will be difficult. Thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it will be that useful. You could easily get overconfident or overwhelmed and scared.

So my pre-med society got some Princeton review rep to come in and talk to us at the last meeting. She announced that there will be a full-length practice test administered on Nov 3rd and only costs 5 bucks.

I've haven't even started actively studying for the MCAT and will be taking it in May. But I have gen chem 1/2 done, 1 semester of organic chemistry almost done, cell biology almost done, 1 semester of physics and a general psychology course done.Took gen bio 1/2 a long time ago. I signed up just because I think it might be useful to gauge how much I know content-wise, as well as get a feel for the length of the test/stamina etc.

Will this be a huge waste of time or do you think it might actually be useful? There's literally nothing to lose, besides 9 hours of my life that could be used studying for my actual courses. I'm taking 15 hours both semesters this year, so figuring out time to study for the MCAT will be difficult. Thanks..
I think you are taking a practice test prematurely and will be demoralized, overwhelmed, and frustrated by the experience. Seek out a similar opportunity in a year when you are almost done with Biochem I.

At the end of the spring semester, I will be completely done with all prerequisites, including biochem. I'm taking the MCAT at the end of May 2019 and applying for the 2019/2020 cycle.

Edit: Just wanted to add that if for some reason I'm scoring poorly on full-lengths by May, I won't be taking the exam and will likely postpone applying for another cycle. My husband and I would like to have our first child before I go to med school, so this would also allow me to complete my final year of undergrad at a more leisurely pace and therefore have time for more extracurriculars to strengthen my application, more time to study for the MCAT, and more time with our new baby. I'm 30 now, so I'd like to at least get one kid down before this whole thing starts. I'd really like to start med school ASAP but also have the foresight to recognize whether or not I'm getting ahead of myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user