Practice Vision, UGH!!

Started by Asumi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Asumi

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What the heck is this practice vision on the Amcas application? How much weight do they give to this section? Hell, I don't know what kind of a doctor I want to be yet. I'm still an undergrad not a fourth year medical student who rotated through every specialty. I'm lost. Can anyone help.
 
Ask silver_eyess. I'm sure she's written hers out already...
 
I think it's supposed to be a "vision" of the type of medicine you'd like to practice, not necessarily the exact specialty. They must know that most, if not all of us have not yet decided upon a specialty. It is probably used to get an idea of what you want your career to be like, i.e. rural or urban, private or group or whatever, office or operating room, that kind of thing.

At least I hope that's what they want, because it's about all I could think to ues on mine 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
While they didn't have this question on AMCAS last year, it was asked quite frequently on secondaries. I usually tried to give myself the out that I was planning to keep an open mind in med school, but currently, I am interested in blah-blah-blah because of blah-blah-blah. I think Jamie is right on with this one -- they kind of want to see generally what areas are you attracted to right now -- academic medicine, primary care, rural or urban setting, etc. They realize this may change, but depending on your interests, there are some med schools you are more well-suited for and vice versa. My best advice is to be honest --if you aren't actually interested in primary care, don't lie and say that you are, etc.