Practicing advanced laparoscopic skills?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBG23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I would like to get a little better at laparoscopic skills and was wondering if there were any practice tasks/ drills that one could perform outside of the OR to get better (outside of the 5 basic FLS tasks)? I came across a "Top Gun" course online, but is is quite pricey and seems geared towards attendings. Has anyone found or come up with some drills that they found helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I would like to get a little better at laparoscopic skills and was wondering if there were any practice tasks/ drills that one could perform outside of the OR to get better (outside of the 5 basic FLS tasks)? I came across a "Top Gun" course online, but is is quite pricey and seems geared towards attendings. Has anyone found or come up with some drills that they found helpful?

Are you a resident? You might try and find a wet lab course using pig models. Some residencies will offer these, but they are also sponsored through industry. Ethicon is seemingly quite invested in education, so you might ask your local Ethicon rep. I've also been offered a few opportunities for lap hernia courses by various mesh reps.

Does SAGES still do courses for residents? I know my program tried to send someone on a regular basis and it seemed as though there was a resident from just about every academic program at the one I attended as well as some community residents. It was free for all of us (I think Ethicon paid for it? It was at one of their facilities but sponsored by SAGES).

Thanks for the responses. Yes, a resident. We don't have wet labs at our institution and our rules here are pretty strict about working with reps at all as trainees because of some prior issues at my particular institution. The SAGES idea sounds great - would be interested to see if they have more of that.

Was also interested in stuff that could just be done table top