Practicing Boarded Doc doing a 2nd Residency!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irishdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone know if you have completed a residency program in the past 10 years and you are a board certified practicing physician in one specialty, can you apply for another residency now without taking USMLE over again?

Also, if you have done a pre-lim year in surgery back then, will that count for advanced track places now?

I know it sounds nuts, but I have to ask, as I think I may have missed my calling.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Does anyone know if you have completed a residency program in the past 10 years and you are a board certified practicing physician in one specialty, can you apply for another residency now without taking USMLE over again?

Also, if you have done a pre-lim year in surgery back then, will that count for advanced track places now?

I know it sounds nuts, but I have to ask, as I think I may have missed my calling.

Is this possible?

Thanks
There are really two things to your question....

First, it is not about having completed a residency or having successfully achieved board certification in a given specialty. If you completed ALL steps of USMLE 10 years ago, you do not retake them now.

Second, if you are looking to get into surgery residency now, you need to plan on starting as an intern. A prelim 10 years ago is really useless and will not count towards anything positive.

Final point, your position, should you get into a residency, will be regarded as unfunded. You completed a residency and have used up your eligibility for fed-subsidized residency. Still some institutions do not pay much attention to that. What they will pay attention to is that you are fully trained in a completely different field and have developed the "mindset" of that field. They will have a very difficult time believing you can mentally assume the role of intern and junior member of the team.

It's all possible but not likely. Good luck.

Final point, your position, should you get into a residency, will be regarded as unfunded. You completed a residency and have used up your eligibility for fed-subsidized residency. Still some institutions do not pay much attention to that.

Just to clarify, the position will not be "unfunded." After completion of eligibility for the first residency, further training is funded at 50% of DME (direct expenses...salary and benefits) and 100% of IME (all that other stuff it costs a hospital to train resident). This is how all fellowship positions are funded. The reality is that the position (assuming it's an approved position in the first place and not one the institution pays for out of its own pocket in the first place) will be federally funded @ ~70-75% of total costs.

The rest of that stuff is spot on though.