Practicing Doc joining the reserves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldjeeps

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any first hand knowledge out there?

For me (EM), there is the recurrent consideration of joining up after I get done with residency. But from everything I've heard going into active duty might not be the best thing (potential for skill set atrophy, etc). And the consideration of reserves (with the likely deployments) might make me less "hire-able" for a civilian group. The other option would be to work for a bit and then consider joining up (reserves) if the thoughts continue to recur.

I hear that the Army has a cap on length of deployments for reservist docs, and that the Navy doesn't - any truth to that?
Anybody know about the AF?

Have a family member (FP) that is also eyeing the reserves... anything that I should tell them? Think that they are coming up on the 40 yo mark - how flexible is the age cap?

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of looks, but no replies...

so there is no one out there with any knowledge about joining the reserves after residency (without prior time in service)?

I am a former AD Marine and current air force reservist (enlisted, still in undergrad). As with anything else you need to talk to somebody that has been there and done that. I would recommend looking up reserve/national guard units in your area. There is bound to be a medical unit in your area. Get the units contact info. This may be a pain in the but to do, but it's possible. If nothing else contact a recruiter and get him to hook you up with a unit. Tell the people there about your situation and that you would like to communicate with a physician in the unit. This may take a little leg work, but considering the military, reserves included are always tripping over themselves to get docs in, you shouldn't have to much trouble. Also, later on, before you sign on the dotted line, drop by the base or armory on a drill weekend and check it out.
Also, in my experience, the reserves beats the **** out of AD, especially if, as will be your case, if you are making bank working as a civilian.

If you want to be in the military, join up. Yes, your skills will atrophy a bit. You can make up for it though.

But don't join if you don't want to deploy. That is what military EM docs do these days. Deploy, deploy, deploy. 5 of the 8 in my shop will have been deployed between March and May, almost all for 6 months (AF.) If you're trying to avoid long deployments, don't join. That's what we do.