practicing in ny

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comatose

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so is the rumor really true that for the 2008 graduates, we have to take a GPR to practice in ny. wtf??!!! wouldn't this have a negative effect on the amoutn of practicing dentists in ny? are these people crazy? can someone explain this? Also, is it wise to transfer to a NY school after second year (before clinics) if you want to practice in ny (assuming you can still subsitute nerb for gpr by the time i graduate)?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it might drive away dentists from practicing in NYS *IF* no other states jump on the bandwagon.

Me, I'm glad I dodged that bullet. :D

Yes, the rumor is true. It starts with the class of 2007, so unfortunately for you, you will have no chance of substituting the NERB for a GPR.

I don't know what it'll do for the dentists who want to practice here, but I've heard a lot of reasons why this law was put in place. However, I don't have much to offer on the subject b/c like Tom, I too already shelled out the cash for my New York state license.

You should only bother to transfer to a NY school if you're going to end up saving $$$ in the process like coming to Stonybrook or Buffalo if you are a NY resident already (in other words, why would you want to transfer to NYU or Columbia???). Otherwise, stay where you are b/c as part of the class of 2008, you will have to do a GPR to come to NY. NY doesn't care which state you do the GPR/AEGD/specialty program in, as long as it is an ADA-accredited program.

Members don't see this ad :)
comatose said:
so is the rumor really true that for the 2008 graduates, we have to take a GPR to practice in ny. wtf??!!!

This isn't a competely bad idea. Granted there are two very vocal camps who are more than willing to share their opinions on this issue, but in general I think a more neutral person can see tremendous benefits as well as tremendous negatives to this issue.

BTW, Griffin & Tom, how do you see this affecting the GPR/AEGD programs in terms of open spots. Are there enough graduates who plan on practicing in NY so as to make already competitive GPR programs even more competitive now?

If there are a substantial number of graduates wishing to practice in NY, then I can see this having quite a powerful effect on GPR/AEGD programs, especially because programs don't have to be located in NY, but only ADA-accredited.

That wasn't worded very well. I guess the flip-side to what I'm asking is: how many of those aiming to practice in NY are actually going to do there AEGD/GPRs in the state of NY, rather than doing one somewhere else in the nation and then moving back to NY to practice?

Hi Gavin,

Speaking for myself... Moving away somewhere for just one year (having to scope out a place, arrange for billing for utilities, telephone, cable, establish a local bank account, having your car insurance policy rearranged for the new location, having your new place furnished, finding out where to buy dinner, etc.) is a friggin' PITA, especially if you have to relocate again after so short a period of time!

I think my classmate Griffin will agree, having had to move 400 miles for her residency, then having to pick up and move again in less than 12 months.

If I had gone to the trouble of relocating somewhere else for the residency, I might just decide to stay there after the residency is done! :p

UBTom said:
I think my classmate Griffin will agree, having had to move 400 miles for her residency, then having to pick up and move again in less than 12 months.

Tom read my mind, b/c I had to go through all that bank account, telephone number, where to eat stuff, find new friends stuff and now I'm worried that I'll have to do it all over again come June. I think most of my classmates who didn't take the NERB are doing their residencies in NY anyways.

I don't know if its having an effect yet or not, I think it's a little too early to tell. Actually, maybe the ASDA licensure consultant might have some numbers of how many people took advantage of this residency-instead-of-NERB option from the past academic year. It is now on the NY state licensing website that you can submit your paperwork from your residency to get a NY license, I don't know if they are releasing the numbers yet of how many people have actually applied for a license this way.

I bet there are still residencies that are unfilled though, there are too many hospitals in the NYC area alone with GPRs and I can't see all of them having filled.