Practicing in Oregon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Step1EKG

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
PGY1 here.
I know it's been talked about in the past: the kooky land of Oregon, where NPs/naturopaths = MD/DO.
I'm just curious how this looks in the day-to-day for FM docs actually practicing in OR, particularly within 30 min from Portland.

1. Does it actually impact the job market or earning potential?
2. How have these changes in expanding non-physician roles/salaries impacted your job, if at all?
3. How do you like practicing in the state?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I left Oregon after working there 5 years. I had 2 permanent jobs that did not last longer than 3 months due to terrible administration policies. I worked 8 different sites as a locum provider and not one of those sites were agreeable to me due to the fact of oppressive administration and their policies even though I had a good time at each site I had to remind them that I was not their employee and would gladly move on if they didn't feel my medical treatment was sound.

Oregon is very very poor and people don't have money for food, gas, or medications. Most these days work on marijuana farms.

Oregon has a state income tax on top of the federal tax. I gained almost $30,000/yr just by moving.

I would never go back and gave up my medical license there.

Reactions: 1 users