Practicing in the UK/Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwazy cat lady

Slave to Felines
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of Americans who studied at one of the UK schools and actually stayed there to practice after graduation? I'm wondering if it is just as difficult as getting any other work permits as an American citizen, or if, somehow, receiving your veterinary degree over there opens some doors? if that were the case (doors opening) it would make the investment more worth it to me as I would love to move back to Europe and practice there...

(I probably should post this in the vet forum)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know of Americans who studied at one of the UK schools and actually stayed there to practice after graduation? I'm wondering if it is just as difficult as getting any other work permits as an American citizen, or if, somehow, receiving your veterinary degree over there opens some doors? if that were the case (doors opening) it would make the investment more worth it to me as I would love to move back to Europe and practice there...

(I probably should post this in the vet forum)

I know you're interested in EU. however.. FYI: I think this is possible in Australia and New Zealand (to stay and work). Most if not all the vet schools in Aus/NZ are also accredited in the UK/EU (and US and Canada). :thumbup:

Doing a quick look on the Google... :)

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/igs/

The International Graduates Scheme was launched on 1 May 2007 and replaced the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme.

The International Graduates Scheme will close completely on 29 June 2008. After this date all applications, including those from anyone currently in the United Kingdom under this category, must be made under Tier 1 of our new points-based system.

The scheme allows you if you are a non-European Economic Area (EEA) graduate, who has completed your studies in the United Kingdom, access to employment or self employment in the United Kingdom. You are allowed up to 12 months in the United Kingdom in order to gain work experience. If you want to remain in the United Kingdom beyond this time you will need to apply under a new immigration category, such as work permits.

These pages explain:

* how you can qualify for the scheme;
* how to apply for the scheme; and
* how long you can stay in the United Kingdom under the scheme.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/w...yarrangements/internationalgradssciencegrads/

Transitional arrangements for migrants on the International Graduates Scheme and the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme

This page explains the temporary arrangements we are putting in place for migrants who are currently in the United Kingdom with permission to stay under the International Graduates scheme and the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme. These and other categories will be deleted as we introduce Tier 1 of the points-based system. For a full list of categories being deleted see Points-based system: arrangements for migrants already in the United Kingdom.

These transitional arrangements will only be in place after the International Graduates Scheme is deleted on 30 June 2008.

If you still have valid permission to stay in the United Kingdom (known as leave to remain) under the International Graduates Scheme or the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme on or after the date on which we introduce Tier 1 (Post Study Work) of the points-based system, you will be able to apply to extend your permission to stay in your existing category for long enough to give you a combined total of two years under your current category and the Post Study Work category. This will be a one-off transitional arrangement.

We are also making special provisions for people who are British nationals (overseas), British overseas territories citizens, British overseas citizens, British protected persons or British subjects who arrived here without prior entry clearance and received limited leave to enter under the International Graduates Scheme or the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme. These provisions will enable them to extend their stay in the United Kingdom for up to two years in a combination of their current category and the Tier 1 (Post Study Work) category.

We will publish further information on the Post Study Work category when we introduce it.

There is a similar program just introduced this year (I think) to Australia where upon graduation they extend your Visa to allow you to gain work experience and become a 'skilled' worker. It looks like since you would already be in the country and adding to their economy, proving yourself, etc the transition would be easier than applying for a skilled-work visa from abroad (which for Australia can take over a year to accomplish).

Hopefully they will have more info on the program for you soon, but that appears to be all there is at this point. :) FYI, A lot of our Aussie professors who did locum work in the UK did not like their style of practice (generally no appointments, people just line up at the door, etc). Just a note to say that you might want to check up on some of the practices over there as that style may not interest you. I just don't know (assume there would be) if there are more US/Aussie-Like clinics that have more structured days as it were.

Members don't see this ad :)
But the pay scale in Aus/ NZ is much lower than UK/ most of EU.

Which is why a lot of NZ students I've talked to were thinking about UK spots, even though they'd have to pay fines on their student loans/ grants.

-j.

Thanks guys, this is all interesting.

I think I might just have to get out of bed early tomorrow and call the UK schools and try to talk to someone!!

;-)