Practicing in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeaBass

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Other than a degree from an accredited school and National Boards, is there anything else required to practice in the USA? (I am Canadian). I am aware that some states require additional examinations. Which ones are these (California?) and what is involved (practical portion)? Are obtaining work visas relatively straight forward? Any help would be greatly appreciated. All the best.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends how long have you been practicing in Canada? Some states will transfer you by credentials. Since I graduated from a US school I took the CRDTS - which consists of practical examination on patients and manikin and a written test - 3 days long. Overall, I would say it is much more difficult to obtain a US dental license than a Canadian one, actually the Canadian NDBE was a joke since they posted the previous years exam on the website and repeated half of the questions.

Thanks Big_Poppa, I was wondering what would be required to practice immediately following graduation. Do you have citizenship in the US? If not, did you obtain something similar to a work visa?

Members don't see this ad :)
You need a TN to work for someone - it is good for one year and renewable forever. You get it at the border - it takes 20 minutes and you need to bring your diploma, license and letter from an employer that states certain things. Try looking up NAFTA or TN visas on the internet.

Try grasmick.com for sample TN-1 letters.