Practicing in Toronto as a US physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Georgebrown901

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start medical school in the us. I love Toronto and feel like my values align with the country more than US (access to medicine/education/multicultural acceptance/often reported very happy and higher life expectancy/work life balance). I see that to work in Ontario you can find programs/must be supervised for about a year to get acclimated to the system

Members don't see this ad.

I'm getting ready to start medical school in the us. I love Toronto and feel like my values align with the country more than US (access to medicine/education/multicultural acceptance/often reported very happy and higher life expectancy/work life balance). I see that to work in Ontario you can find programs/must be supervised for about a year to get acclimated to the system
... accidentally finished typing early... is it difficult to find work in toronto as a us trained physician. I am I interested in psychiatry. Has anyone done this? Is it as nice as it sounds? I'm okay making less money as a canadian compared to an american as I dont care as much about quantity of goods owned as much ad as quality of life and happiness/ worklife balance

The hurdle would be licensing and work visa but if you can figure that out there's nothing stopping you from being a psychiatrist in the T-dot. If you're certified it doesn't matter where you did your training for the general stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Typically specialties require you to write your Canadian boards alongside your American boards. You need to look into whether there is any issues with length of training - psych is 4 yrs in the US and 5 in Canada, so you're a year short. Does not matter where you trained, Ontario is in dire need of psychiatrists so if you are licensed, no one will ask where you trained.

ok thanks good to know. Also does anyone know If being a physician in canada provides good life balance and job satisfaction compared to us burnout and frustration with paperwork/insurance

ok thanks good to know. Also does anyone know If being a physician in canada provides good life balance and job satisfaction compared to us burnout and frustration with paperwork/insurance

Nobody can answer such a general question. Everyone has different values and what a good work-life balance means to them. You still have to bill and do paperwork in Canada, but I assume it's more straightforward billing the ministry of health vs many different private companies. And I personally value not having to sell myself/advertise and worry about things as a "business". But some may value making more money, having a better Amazon selection in the US ;)

Yeah I mean us med is a weird field in that it attracts many who want to make lots of money and are willing to take on extra work for that check. So these people would say they have a high quality of life. My thing is that it seems like in canada you can make a good amount of money to live comfortably, while working like 35-40 hrs per week easily with less beaurocratic nonsense. That's amazing to me, I love the sciences and working with people. I hate the fact that the us doesnt see healthcare as a right. I dont want to worry as much about lawsuits for malpractice in such a sue heavy nation. I dont care about amazon loll. I'm annoyed theres a lack of residency spots in the us because of AMA lobbying and thus a physician shortage. Do physicians really need to work 60+ hours a week in a healthcare system, does it really benefit the physician or the patient.
A bit of a rant but its some things that weigh on me looking forward

Reactions: 1 users
If you qualify for Canadian PR on your own merit (I would argue that most doctor's would have enough points in the express entry system) that will help you tremendously when it comes to employment and future training opportunities in Canada