Practicing OMT-Please read!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ive actually heard schools such as NOVA pretty much told a Muslim girl to suck it up. So ive heard from other muslims, that is. As a muslim myself, I would say this is one of those cases in which you're just gonna have to go through with it. As a physician, you're going to have to be practicing on both sexes, and because of that, one needs to get use to that fact

I know for a fact that Nova's policy isn't simply "suck it up" for OPP lab. This just isn't true. Accommodations are given and are appropriate.

If there are medical reasons behind not wanting to be practiced upon, they are taken into consideration. If there are religious concerns of dress code or gender relations, they are taken into consideration.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Pelvic diaphragm release via the ischial tuberosities. You're centimeters from the vagina and anus.
that can be awkward! does the girl at least have underwear on? is there a male equivalent to this technique?

that can be awkward! does the girl at least have underwear on? is there a male equivalent to this technique?
You wear your clothes - shorts and underwear.
This technique is performed on men and women.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
^not no vaginas. okay, thats not thattt bad now that i think about it. For a minute i thought we were butt naked for some reason (gigiggty).

I know for a fact that Nova's policy isn't simply "suck it up" for OPP lab. This just isn't true. Accommodations are given and are appropriate.

If there are medical reasons behind not wanting to be practiced upon, they are taken into consideration. If there are religious concerns of dress code or gender relations, they are taken into consideration.

just saying what I was told.

Just googled ischial tuberosity... To other DO applicants out there - do.not.google.it.

Yeah...I perform TONS of OMT in practice and I likely would never perform pelvic diaphragm release. And it's sad because the technique really could work and help lots of patients. But it could easily be misinterpreted and the liability is too high.

I am going through the same situation. Most important thing is to try your best. Talk to student affairs or whoever is in charge to see what you can get accommodated with. I spoke with a scholar about this, if they do not give you ANY accommodation (as they did not with me) then you have to make the intention that you are doing this for a medical reason. I politely explain to my group members that I prefer to work with males, and I personally do not shake hands with the opposite gender, and I have yet to do OMM with them either. The students are very nice and accommodating, so be pleasant and smile. PM me if you have any questions

Pray tell, how will you go about being a clinician if you can't even shake hands with someone of the opposite sex?

I am assuming you mean for medical reasons you have to touch the opposite gender, there is no problem in that. Shaking hands is a social gesture. I don't plan on incorporating OMM at all, so I prefer to work with males if I can. Hope that clears some confusion.

The Muslim girls in my class have male and female OMM partners. The only accommodation is that they are allowed to wear pants/long sleeves. I don't really buy that this is a legit religious restriction.

Also we just did the ischial tuberosity in lab. I had a male partner. It was not a big deal at all and I'm not someone who is very touchey with men. You have to learn how to compartmentilize.

I still remember the first time I swabbed a mans penis for gonorrhea. I was working under a female PA with a strong Alabama accent. Being that it was the first time I'd ever handled another mans penis I was a little apprehensive. In a loud southern drawl the PA tells me "Don't be scared, the damn thing aint gonna bite ya. Grab it like this!" and she grabbed the kids penis firmly, like she was closing a business deal.

I've also grabbed my fair share of butt cheek for penicillin shots.

If OMM is sexual and offends your better senses, you might want to reconsider the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users