Practicing OMT-Please read!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

So I was reading about WVSOM and they have this policy that one must agree to in regards to their OMT rules. My main concern is about partnering up during the OMT labs. Basically, you partner up and the other acts as a patient and requires for you to practice the osteopathic manipulative treatment on each other.

Now, I understand that due to the medical practice, I will have to practice OMT on both girls and guys. And I am okay with that. However, I don't want to be practiced upon due to religious reasons. My question is, do all DO schools require you to be practiced upon during the labs or will they accomodate for you? I just don't want to be practiced upon.

If someone can please let me know, that'd be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Religious reasons as in you don't want someone of the opposite sex practicing on you or anyone at all? If the former, you can probably explain your reasoning to your prof and be okay. If you don't want anyone to practice on you, you're not going to be a popular classmate and will likely have a difficult time getting a waiver (just a guess). More importantly, it will also take a lot out of your skills if you don't experience OMM on the receiving end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its not against religion, but with my stats, i'm really competitive for DO schools, not MD schools. And I'm fine with practicing on OMT on other people, but its just something I don't think I'm comfortable with for religious reasons. I know other people of the same religion that are okay with being practiced on by the opposite gender. Its just my personal view. But I just wanted to know whether DO schools accomodate for you by giving you a partner of the same sex?

So you're saying you'll practice on the opposite sex but don't want the opposite sex practicing on you?

Most schools will likely be ok with getting you a same sex partner for opp. Contact the schools you're interested in.

At COMP we have students who are Muslim females and they get female partners for class and surrogates for exams. They still have to perform OMT on both male and female classmates though.

Its not against religion, but with my stats, i'm really competitive for DO schools, not MD schools. And I'm fine with practicing on OMT on other people, but its just something I don't think I'm comfortable with for religious reasons. I know other people of the same religion that are okay with being practiced on by the opposite gender. Its just my personal view. But I just wanted to know whether DO schools accomodate for you by giving you a partner of the same sex?

So why not just say it is your personal view, and not religous?

Sometimes in medicine you have to put your personal views aside to put forward your professional views.

BUT, i am sure you will be accommodated since you are fine performing on both sexes, just not having it performed on yourself by the opposite. Which is reasonable since in practice, you will always be the one performing OMT, and not having it performed on you by a patient :p

Reactions: 1 users
BE AN ATHEIST WHEN YOU ARE IN A MEDICAL SETTING!
I respect all religions and I don't care what you practice (as long as you don't influence me or try to influence the society), but put all that aside when it comes to your job.
Honestly, do really think your god/God/Allah (which is the same god that christians and jews believe by the way) will not let you in heaven/holy-place just because some other gender practiced a procedure on you (if it is real in first place)?
What kind of all knowing, all understanding, omnipresent, omnivalent god is that?

If your life is in danger, would you not let a male physician perform procedures on you?
If your daughter is in danger, would you not let a male physician perform a procedure on her just because of your religious reasons?

All that being said, I'm sure they will have some kind of accommodation for you. You need to do the research and ask questions before attending a school to make sure you will be comfortable there. It's not just the medical schools interviewing/choosing you, you also interview/choose the school you will be attending.

I love talking about religion topics. It's kinda like a fetish or something.

I respect all religions and I don't care what you practice (as long as you don't influence me or try to influence the society), but put all that aside when it comes to your job.
Honestly, do really think your god/God/Allah (which is the same god that christians and jews believe by the way) will not let you in heaven/holy-place just because some other gender practiced a procedure on you (if it is real in first place)?
What kind of all knowing, all understanding, omnipresent, omnivalent god is that?

If your life is in danger, would you not let a male physician perform procedures on you?
If your daughter is in danger, would you not let a male physician perform a procedure on her just because of your religious reasons?

All that being said, I'm sure they will have some kind of accommodation for you. You need to do the research and ask questions before attending a school to make sure you will be comfortable there. It's not just the medical schools interviewing/choosing you, you also interview/choose the school you will be attending.
I think if there's going to be skin exposure, pretty much any religious female muslim patient will request a female physician. It's totally understandable anyway.

I do wonder though, don't OMM/OMT classes have dress codes? Do they just do the practice procedures over the clothes (in this context for muslims)?

I think if there's going to be skin exposure, pretty much any religious female muslim patient will request a female physician. It's totally understandable anyway.

I do wonder though, don't OMM/OMT classes have dress codes? Do they just do the practice procedures over the clothes (in this context for muslims)?

And all the male muslim patients get to have their bodies felt by female practitioners, great. praise the lord.

The physician I shadowed did the manipulations on top of the regular clothing. I guess you will be able to feel it better if the patient isn't wearing something but it isn't necessary. Based on the photos I have seen, students wear work out clothes, tshirts and shorts, or scrubs.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will not get a choice. You will not be accommodated for something as trivial as this. It will likely be expressed in the interview that you will have to fit the program and you will sign papers before classes start indicating your participation. This is a part of DO school.
If you cannot accept the fact that you will have your ischial tuberosity palpated under your gluteal fold by a member of the opposite sex or your chondroclavicular joints assessed on your chest, get over it or go to a MD school. Everyone strips to shorts (and sports bras) and you are assigned partners. It's done professionally. It's still done. Lots.

I'm a DO student.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't be dumb guys. Everything in Islam depends on intention. You're allowed to touch/see the opposite sex in a medical sense, not sexual(unless married). How do you think there are so many Muslim doctors, male and female. Many people prefer to have a doctor that is the same sex though because they don't feel comfortable, regardless of religion. If the patient sees it as "oh I'm getting felt up" that is their bad intention. Funny story from last week, one of my co-workers felt the need to tell me why he has a female doctor because "I don't want no guy touching my junk!".

If OP personally doesn't feel comfortable being by touched by the other sex, that's their concern and hopefully can be accommodated. I don't think it's a really a religious matter though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

Thank you for all the feedback. For those that said they're are accomodations, which schools are you talking about?

my school makes accommodations. it really is not as big of a deal as students on this thread are making it.

i've experienced students start med school with a similar belief as you and change it a couple months into medical school.

I have seen girls at my school get accommodations for this. I suppose it depends in which school you go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the way this country is about religion, I wouldn't be surprised if they accommodate you. Clearly you don't deserve it though as your religion doesn't say anything about medical treatments but it's only your own biases. The religious excuse will likely fly though as nobody wants to argue that **** and get sued.

With the way this country is about religion, I wouldn't be surprised if they accommodate you. Clearly you don't deserve it though as your religion doesn't say anything about medical treatments but it's only your own biases. The religious excuse will likely fly though as nobody wants to argue that **** and get sued.

Even companies have religious rights

I dont think you will have a problem, just ask for a female partner because you dont feel comfortable with a male partner. You dont even have to bring religion into it if you dont want to. I mean Im sure there are women out there who just dont feel comfortable with a man touching them regardless of their religion. I dont think an explanation should be required. What if a women has been sexually assaulted? I think its ridiculous to expect people to list their reasons. And as long as your cool with doing OMT on both genders I dont think it will affect your education in the slightest.

So you're saying you'll practice on the opposite sex but don't want the opposite sex practicing on you?

Most schools will likely be ok with getting you a same sex partner for opp. Contact the schools you're interested in.

This. Its happened before. I have heard of some issues at WVSOM (a long time ago - like few years at least), but most schools (including my own), tend to accommodate this sort of thing. That said, they will have to practice on people of both sexes to verify that they could perform the techniques on both types of patients.

This is really ignorant. Most people who are religious aren't religious only in certain situations. They are religious in all aspects of their lives. Telling people, oh just disregard your morals or beliefs in this situation, because I don't think its a big deal is pretty ridiculous. That's what you're saying.

Most religions explicitly make exceptions for extreme situations like this. I know mine does. OMM class is not a life or death situation (and its probably safe to say that performing OMT on someone isn't going to save their life in an emergency).

You will not get a choice. You will not be accommodated for something as trivial as this. It will likely be expressed in the interview that you will have to fit the program and you will sign papers before classes start indicating your participation. This is a part of DO school.
If you cannot accept the fact that you will have your ischial tuberosity palpated under your gluteal fold by a member of the opposite sex or your chondroclavicular joints assessed on your chest, get over it or go to a MD school. Everyone strips to shorts (and sports bras) and you are assigned partners. It's done professionally. It's still done. Lots.

I'm a DO student.

Not true. I know that many people have gotten accommodations at multiple schools. Some schools may have an issue, but most don't. I know orthodox Jews and Muslims that get accommodations all the time.

Last edited:
As long as you are willing to work with a same-sex partner, you will be fine. We have several students who feel similarly, and they are always accommodated. Do not worry about this.

This is really ignorant. Most people who are religious aren't religious only in certain situations. They are religious in all aspects of their lives. Telling people, oh just disregard your morals or beliefs in this situation, because I don't think its a big deal is pretty ridiculous. That's what you're saying.

Oh believe me (no pun intended), it is a big deal. It's a big deal when religious people try to change/propose policies that effect the community/city/nation/world.
"Most people..." as one of those "most people," what have you done to change the minds of the exceptions? Did you ever do something about it? Did anyone ever do anything about it besides saying "oh, they are just extreme exceptions and I am not like them. They are different [insert religion]."
Did christians go preach about how killing doctors who work in abortion clinic is wrong? (i'm sure there are but it is minuscule).

"They are religious in all aspects of their lives."
Seriously? Then why aren't you tolerant of my views? Why don't you just forgive criminals? Why don't you give up all your wealth so those in poor countries can have it? YOU PICK and choose when and what to like about your religion.

Lawrence Krauss said "you must be an atheist when you go in a lab" (something like that) and that's why I said what I said previously. You cannot except your god/God to do things for you, especially the supernatural ones that defy the laws of nature.
Religious people calling Atheists ignorant for not believing in their god/gods/God/being is an oxymoron. We, atheists, are allowed to believe/think/talk about whatever we want, also. Usually, we understand more about religious people and we choose to not believe in the evidence (if you can call it that than just collections of stories in a form of a book, which was written long after the events in them have taken place) that religious blurt out without thinking.

AND, tell me about how great religions' morals are.
Tell me how slavery, murder, stealing, and etc in your books are moral.
Tell me how logically your books are.
Tell me how surviving inside a whale, taking ribs out of a man to make a woman, walking on water, raising from the dead, and etc. are logical.

Most religions explicitly make exceptions for extreme situations like this. I know mine does. OMM class is not a life or death situation (and its probably safe to say that performing OMT on someone isn't going to save their life in an emergency).

I've already touched above but stop blaming the exceptions! If so, do something about it! and again, you said, "They are religious in all aspects of their lives."
If that is the case, OP should never be a physician, especially ER, surgery, and anesthesiology. Since she is a female and lives by her religion every day, she would just let males die in front of her if they are in a critical situation.
Using "exceptions" is not a good method for religious or the nonreligious.

Oh believe me (no pun intended), it is a big deal. It's a big deal when religious people try to change/propose policies that effect the community/city/nation/world.
"Most people..." as one of those "most people," what have you done to change the minds of the exceptions? Did you ever do something about it? Did anyone ever do anything about it besides saying "oh, they are just extreme exceptions and I am not like them. They are different [insert religion]."
Did christians go preach about how killing doctors who work in abortion clinic is wrong? (i'm sure there are but it is minuscule).

Seriously? Then why aren't you tolerant of my views? Why don't you just forgive criminals? Why don't you give up all your wealth so those in poor countries can have it? YOU PICK and choose when and what to like about your religion.

Lawrence Krauss said "you must be an atheist when you go in a lab" (something like that) and that's why I said what I said previously. You cannot except your god/God to do things for you, especially the supernatural ones that defy the laws of nature.
Religious people calling Atheists ignorant for not believing in their god/gods/God/being is an oxymoron. We, atheists, are allowed to believe/think/talk about whatever we want, also. Usually, we understand more about religious people and we choose to not believe in the evidence (if you can call it that than just collections of stories in a form of a book, which was written long after the events in them have taken place) that religious blurt out without thinking.

Tell me how surviving inside a whale, taking ribs out of a man to make a woman, walking on water, raising from the dead, and etc. are logical.

I've already touched above but stop blaming the exceptions! If so, do something about it! and again, you said, "They are religious in all aspects of their lives."
If that is the case, OP should never be a physician, especially ER, surgery, and anesthesiology. Since she is a female and lives by her religion every day, she would just let males die in front of her if they are in a critical situation.

Go back to /r/atheism with your arrogant, prudish thoughts. You're allowed to believe/think whatever you want and everyone should be accommodated, seeing how they're going to spend 4 years and $200k+ at the school. I can guarantee the majority of first year med students are not comfortable touching people [in a medical sense] of the opposite sex, let alone their own. It comes in time, stop looking at everything so black and white. Bashing religion is derailing the thread and making you look like a complete ass. I don't think we even established the reason OP voiced their concern. That's their private business and you should answer respectfully. I hope to dear God you didn't do this in an interview, no one would want you as their doctor.

Reactions: 4 users
Go back to /r/atheism with your arrogant, prudish thoughts. You're allowed to believe/think whatever you want and everyone should be accommodated, seeing how they're going to spend 4 years and $200k+ at the school. I can guarantee the majority of first year med students are not comfortable touching people [in a medical sense] of the opposite sex, let alone their own. It comes in time, stop looking at everything so black and white. Bashing religion is derailing the thread and making you look like a complete ass. I don't think we even established the reason OP voiced their concern. That's their private business and you should answer respectfully. I hope to dear God you didn't do this in an interview, no one would want you as their doctor.
+1000

@iWillOneDay though you state you respect religion in your first response, your recent comments have been augmented to outright attack OP's faith and faith in general. It's disappointing to say the least. You are the future of medicine and as a physician you should have the sense to be tolerant of all beliefs not just with patients but with your colleagues. OP is simply wondering if there are schools which provides alternatives in OMM which support religious beliefs.

You made some very disrespectful remarks toward OP.

Since she is a female and lives by her religion every day, she would just let males die in front of her if they are in a critical situation.

+1000

@iWillOneDay though you state you respect religion in your first response, your recent comments have been augmented to outright attack OP's faith and faith in general. It's disappointing to say the least. You are the future of medicine and as a physician you should have the sense to be tolerant of all beliefs not just with patients but with your colleagues. OP is simply wondering if there are schools which provides alternatives in OMM which support religious beliefs.

You made some very disrespectful remarks toward OP.

"Since..." was a sarcasm since hollowman said they live by their religion every day/along that line. I was trying to prove prove a point that religion should not stop anyone from practicing medicine, not saying she should be doing that.
If it seemed disrespectful to OP, I'm sorry. That was not my intent.
However, my stance on leaving out religion in medicine stands true.
You guys say why I'm not tolerant of religious people. You guys have it wrong. I tolerate religious people all the time and my best friends and family members are basically all religious. But, I'm not going to tolerate religions. There is a difference. If I call you an idiot, that means I find your ideas idiotic, not the person you are.

The world is still a very religious place. When nonreligious people try to speak out, we are judged and criticized for speaking our minds. I wont keep silent just because vast majority find it wrong/offensive. I have freedom of speech just as you have freedom to criticize whatever I say, vice versa.

None of you guys respond to what I say and are busy saying how ignorant I am.
And the whole /r/atheist thing. These things should also be talked on here. It will affect the policies of the field i want to be working in. I'll respect everyone, just not all of their thoughts and ideas.

"Since..." was a sarcasm since hollowman said they live by their religion every day/along that line. I was trying to prove prove a point that religion should not stop anyone from practicing medicine, not saying she should be doing that.
If it seemed disrespectful to OP, I'm sorry. That was not my intent.
However, my stance on leaving out religion in medicine stands true.
You guys say why I'm not tolerant of religious people. You guys have it wrong. I tolerate religious people all the time and my best friends and family members are basically all religious. But, I'm not going to tolerate religions. There is a difference. If I call you an idiot, that means I find your ideas idiotic, not the person you are.

The world is still a very religious place. When nonreligious people try to speak out, we are judged and criticized for speaking our minds. I wont keep silent just because vast majority find it wrong/offensive. I have freedom of speech just as you have freedom to criticize whatever I say, vice versa.

None of you guys respond to what I say and are busy saying how ignorant I am.
And the whole /r/atheist thing. These things should also be talked on here. It will affect the policies of the field i want to be working in. I'll respect everyone, just not all of their thoughts and ideas.

If you call someone an idiot, that means you think they're an idiot. You can say, that idea was idiotic and that implies what you're trying to say.

If you want to talk about this stuff, go to the sociopolitical issues board, not premed to insult people. Sorry that we took you the wrong way, but when you start writing stupid things, people are going to think you're stupid. No one said you weren't tolerant, but you are generally bashing all religion like you know everything. Everything that you detailed that religions cause/do happens regardless of religion as well. Its pretty much human nature to act like idiots. Many people use religion/God/magic/BS to justify their actions and it's obvious when they are dead wrong, i.e. ISIS, conquistadors, Charlie Manson.

Also, no clue what you're talking about. Right now we are living in the most open time for thinkers/speakers. They even televised Bill Nye vs. priest debate. Don't try to act like you're so oppressed because you can ask anyone who grew up under real oppression and they would laugh at you. I have Bosnian friends who saw their families murdered and raped in front of their eyes. I know a lady who was part of the Cambodian genocide, which if you don't know was carried out by atheist communist leaders.

Think before you talk and write. Sometimes silence is the best thing. Peace.

You're acting like you know everything about religion when clearly you do not.

Wtf is wrong with some of you?? The OP didn't ask for your personal thoughts on their religion or reasons for potentially asking their future school for an accommodation.
Schools DO accommodate students, it will not be a problem for the OP, & why are some of you making such a fuss about it?? FFS, it's not a big deal to anyone at my school when a student prefers a partner of the same gender.
FYI religious accommodation is the law, it will happen.

Wtf is wrong with some of you?? The OP didn't ask for your personal thoughts on their religion or reasons for potentially asking their future school for an accommodation.
Schools DO accommodate students, it will not be a problem for the OP, & why are some of you making such a fuss about it?? FFS, it's not a big deal to anyone at my school when a student prefers a partner of the same gender.
FYI religious accommodation is the law, it will happen.

Never said it wouldn't. People have more common sense than banning people from practicing medicine due to religion. Sorry...

Not true. I know that many people have gotten accommodations at multiple schools. Some schools may have an issue, but most don't. I know orthodox Jews and Muslims that get accommodations all the time.

And I know people who haven't. Guess it all depends where you are.
Best thing to OP can do is ask specific school, before or during interviewing.

At my school, you get cozy with OMT on people from day one, and you have signed papers when you maltriculate that signs your permission for students to practice on you, and you on other students.
I have not seen/heard anyone in either class (350 + people) that has been granted deviation from the program.

I hate to continue with the side track topic. One of my most vivid and positive memories of medicine involve religious people. One saturday night as I walked into the ER, made my way to the nurses station I was shocked to see a Sister there (in full almond colored nun style clothes) and she was a physician! Other nights I saw a jewish physician with a skullcap, I guess they were Muslim physicians with long beards (I am assuming they are muslim because of their middle east names). I feel in more in love with medicine, you know why? I regularly read and listen to international politics (constant bickering about stuff that should be left alone)and as you can assume it is extremely depressing, but here in this hospital I felt peace and happiness because all these people of different faiths/no faiths, cultures,disability status etc.. were working together with each other and functioning in harmony to take care of their patients.

I hope that the end goal for all of us whether religious or nonreligious is to make our patients/family/friends as happy as possible or at least lessen their worries.

BTW, I just took a 2 week CNA course, and I can say that pretty much 80-90% of the female residents/patients in the rehab (mentally stable) asked me to get them a female CNA when they wanted to go to the bathroom. I respected their beliefs (less work for me haha) but boy the female CNAs were pissed and judged the poor ladies harshly behind their backs. It really made me fell bad that they did that, so lets try not to do the same to the OP.

I'm not too familiar with OMT and the various techniques but is there really anything that can be "sexual in nature?"

SDN cannot help you. Contact the school. Speak with them about your concern and ask if they can accommodate you.

If you don't really want to be a DO, please go to an MD school instead. There are some very fine ones for which your stats will be plenty competitive. Check out The Commonwealth Medical College. They have admitted MCATs of 24 and GPAs of 3.0. They have a decent program and you won't have to study OMM. They are hardly the only such school. Look for newer schools, as they tend to be more welcoming.

If you insist on going the DO route, try Liberty University. It gets bashed here a lot because it is run by a university known for its (Christian) religious fundamentalism. However, chastity and modesty are values that transcend many religious boundaries, and I'm sure that you could make a good case to them for not allowing opposite sex people to touch you.

I'm not too familiar with OMT and the various techniques but is there really anything that can be "sexual in nature?"

Sexuality is in the eye of the beholder. What is perfectly innocent clinical behavior to one person may inspire "impure thoughts" in another.

Sexuality is in the eye of the beholder. What is perfectly innocent clinical behavior to one person may inspire "impure thoughts" in another.
I mean for the average person. sorry, shoud have been more specific.

At LECOM-B we worked as a group and they let of pick our pair for the practical.

I know of lots of people who were uncomfortable about getting half naked and touching strangers in OMT. But...you adapt and become desensitized to it. It is important to learning OMT. I, for one, am grateful that I had members of the opposite sex not be so self conscious and/or selfish that it deprived me of my education.

I disagree with your opening statement. You would be surprised at the number of patients and their families who appreciate the inclusion of prayer, for example. Even though I'm not particularly religious, if a patient asked me to pray with them you better believe I would. After all, aren't we in it for them?

A more appropriate statement might be to suggest that we be flexible.

But, I'm not going to tolerate religions. There is a difference. If I call you an idiot, that means I find your ideas idiotic, not the person you are.

The world is still a very religious place. When nonreligious people try to speak out, we are judged and criticized for speaking our minds.

Come on now. If you call someone an idiot, you're calling them an idiot. And how are you going to play the victim while coming out against the beliefs of others?

Anyway, like people said OP you have to check with each school. It's not just OMT you have to worry about, though. All medical schools will include physical exam skills. It's not quite the ischial tuberosity but the femoral pulse is pretty far up there...

I disagree with your opening statement. You would be surprised at the number of patients and their families who appreciate the inclusion of prayer, for example. Even though I'm not particularly religious, if a patient asked me to pray with them you better believe I would. After all, aren't we in it for them?

A more appropriate statement might be to suggest that we be flexible.

Come on now. If you call someone an idiot, you're calling them an idiot. And how are you going to play the victim while coming out against the beliefs of others?

let me make the "be an atheist..." thing more clear in a new thread i'll post soon.

And i'll explain the idiot part here. But it may be a bit confusing.
I get what you guys mean by "if you call someone an idiot, you're calling them an idiot."
And I used to think like that before too. However, I learned that's not what I mean by calling someone an idiot by watching/listening to others.
We are too quick to judge people and call them different things, such as idiot, dumb, *****, rude, and etc [insert w/e you want] (unless you are the type of person who doesn't say those things. I applaud you for that but I say those things sometimes).

Now, when do we say those things? In most scenarios, when someone says or does something that we find stupid, idiotic, or w/e.
If I call someone an idiot after he/she says something like "Oh, the sun goes around the earth," I am saying that the idea/thought that he/she has is idiotic, not the person him/herself because I don't know anything about that person except that he/she thinks the sun goes around the earth.
Does that makes sense? The person who thought the sun goes around the earth might know how to design a building so it can resist earthquakes. Is that person really an idiot? No. But the idea/thought that he/she had about the sun... is idiotic.
I am not going to generalize an entire person based on what he/she said or did just once or twice. Now, if that person makes consistence mistakes, then I would give them the appropriate title that they deserve.
I might say "you are an idiot" in situations because I don't feel like saying "I find the statement you said idiotic" and explain the whole thing.

Let me make this more clear if that did not make sense.
Lets say there is a murderer.
That murderer (for w/e reason) helps an old lady cross a street and I saw it.
I might say "oh he/she is nice." But what do i actually mean?
I mean that the act that the murder did was nice. Not the person. How can I judge that person is a genuinely nice person just by seeing him/her do something nice once? I'd have to get to know him/her a lot more/better to make those claims.

Of course you guys wouldn't know that since I did not explain it to you. I don't expect you guys to and I shouldn't have expected you guys to.
Just like how there is a saying "don't judge the book by its cover" or "appearance isn't everything" (something like that), I try not to.
This is just my philosophy and something I will try to live by. That why I said, "If 'I' call you an idiot, that means 'I' find your ideas idiotic, not the person you are."

Does that make any sense?

What about the family who tells you to keep their son on life support because they have faith in God that he is still alive despite him being brain dead? It's to the liken of "the sun goes around the earth". Will you call them an idiot? Or better yet, will you call their ideas idiotic? Based in what you said, the family out rightly deserves the description idiot right?

I'm inquiring so please, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. This is a formal discussion.

What about the family who tells you to keep their son on life support because they have faith in God that he is still alive despite him being brain dead? It's to the liken of "the sun goes around the earth". Will you call them an idiot? Or better yet, will you call their ideas idiotic? Based in what you said, the family out rightly deserves the description idiot right?

I'm inquiring so please, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. This is a formal discussion.

Yes, I would call their idea idiotic. They would be idiots for not plugging the life support and not allowing his organs to be donated for others who are in a need of his organs to survive (if he is a organ donor).
But, I will understand why they want to keep their son on life support. I will understand that they do not want to lose their son and they believe that their god will bring him back. I know they want to do w/e to bring him back and calling him "brain dead" isn't an acceptable answer. I know that's love and they care about their son. Heck, if I was the parent, I wouldn't want to plug it either? But would I expect a miracle and expect my son to wake up from a brain dead state. No.
Do you think I'm a monster or something? Do you realize that atheists have morals and ethics?

And please do not use those exceptions of people waking about from brain dead state (if there is one) because it is highly likely that person wasn't actually brain dead and the doctors didn't do their jobs right. And even if they actually woke up from being in brain dead state, that does not point towards a god's intervention.

Yes, I would call their idea idiotic. They would be idiots for not plugging the life support and not allowing his organs to be donated for others who are in a need of his organs to survive (if he is a organ donor).
But, I will understand why they want to keep their son on life support. I will understand that they do not want to lose their son and they believe that their god will bring him back. I know they want to do w/e to bring him back and calling him "brain dead" isn't an acceptable answer. I know that's love and they care about their son. Heck, if I was the parent, I wouldn't want to plug it either? But would I expect a miracle and expect my son to wake up from a brain dead state. No.
Do you think I'm a monster or something? Do you realize that atheists have morals and ethics?

And please do not use those exceptions of people waking about from brain dead state (if there is one) because it is highly likely that person wasn't actually brain dead and the doctors didn't do their jobs right. And even if they actually woke up from being in brain dead state, that does not point towards a god's intervention.

Nah I don't think you're a monster. Of course I believe you have morals and ethics but honestly you come off obtrusive and abrasive which may or may not be detrimental to your own practice since it seems you are quite intolerant of other viewpoints.

But I digress. Thanks for explaining and can't wait to see the explosive force of your new atheist (?) thread.

Yes. Pelvic diaphragm release via the ischial tuberosities. You're centimeters from the vagina and anus.
This is the first one that came to my mind as well. You're just a little bit off to the side of the zone between the genitalia and the anus and you press in slowly as the patient breathes.

Of course, there is nothing inherently sexual about the technique but that still doesn't completely remove the awkwardness. That is probably the toughest technique you'll learn in OMM class in that regard.

Hey Guys!

So I was reading about WVSOM and they have this policy that one must agree to in regards to their OMT rules. My main concern is about partnering up during the OMT labs. Basically, you partner up and the other acts as a patient and requires for you to practice the osteopathic manipulative treatment on each other.

Now, I understand that due to the medical practice, I will have to practice OMT on both girls and guys. And I am okay with that. However, I don't want to be practiced upon due to religious reasons. My question is, do all DO schools require you to be practiced upon during the labs or will they accomodate for you? I just don't want to be practiced upon.

If someone can please let me know, that'd be great!

Ive actually heard schools such as NOVA pretty much told a Muslim girl to suck it up. So ive heard from other muslims, that is. As a muslim myself, I would say this is one of those cases in which you're just gonna have to go through with it. As a physician, you're going to have to be practicing on both sexes, and because of that, one needs to get use to that fact