Practicing PAs - professional satisfaction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mrdespair

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I am a premed currently considering switching to PA. I am non-trad, and I feel that PA could give me the opportunity to do clinical work but also have time for other things in life. I plan on going into primary care regardless of MD or PA. I am relatively recently married, and financially, this would also be a lot less burdensome.

I have heard some stories of MD regret, MD satisfaction, PA regret... But I have yet to hear from PAs who are currently satisfied with their choice in profession.

If you are a practicing PA and are happy with what you do, would you mind telling me a bit about it? I would really love to hear about your experience.

Thank you very much for your help!
 
I've been a PA for almost 20 years. I like my job now, but did not for much of the first 10-15 years. it took moving into solo coverage jobs in rural departments for me to reach the level of autonomy and scope of practice I wanted right out of school. If you want to do primary care you can be very happy as a PA. harder to do in specialties without a residency or many years in practice. see www.physicianassistantforum.com for more info on pas at this forum with over 20,000 members.
In retrospect if I had to do this over again I would have gone to medschool.