Practicing pathologists - time off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much time off do you get (vacation + CME)?

• 1 week

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • 3 weeks

• 4 weeks

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • 5 weeks

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • 6 weeks

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • 7 weeks

• 8 weeks

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • 9 weeks

• 10+ weeks

• Total voters

moosepatrol77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much vacation is everyone getting and is it adequate?

Members don't see this ad.

I TAKE AS MUCH AS I DAMN WELL WANT BECAUSE I AM MY OWN MAN

Awesome for you man....awesome...Im unsure why this post is scaring me...
Hostelpart3poster.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I get 5 weeks and about 2-3 conferences so it ends up being 8-9 weeks depending on how I spread it out. Sick leave is paid separately so I don't need to use vacation for that.

Don’t worry he will be back with a vengeance with the screen name Covid19.

FLEE COVID NOW!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Some people may have responded based on how much vacation they "take" if they are: a) in solo private practice at a hospital and can locums out whenever they want to take off b) own a lab or are the single proprietor of a contract and have their underlings do the work for them c) they are part time/locums employees that work only a certain number of weeks per year and count their weeks off as vacation or d) their own man like Thrombus Magic Man

However, the poll asks how much time off we "get" which would imply what is granted from their practice/institution/employer. I have 8 weeks which includes CME + 2 weeks for emergencies/sick leave. It's adequate as far as time off. However, scheduling can get a little tricky sometimes. For example, if two people are scheduled to be off at the same time, you cannot take vacation spontaneously for a non-urgent event e.g. a friends wedding, 3-day weekend road trip, family reunion, etc., because there wouldn't be enough coverage. My prior job had 6 weeks. I've been on over a dozen interviews mostly with private groups and the range I've come across has been between 5-9 weeks. I've heard of some jobs with more, and even fewer with less. But, from my experience and talking with others, most full time jobs fall within this range. If not, you're either very lucky or unlucky.

I think academics would be an exception of falling outside this range more frequently (on the higher end). Where I trained, faculty members had vacation + "off-service weeks" combined for roughly 12 total weeks per year. The off-service weeks were exactly as the name implies. They didn't have clinical/teaching duties assigned but they could use it to catch up, research, etc. I guess they could go out of town if they wanted, but I frequently saw them around for maybe a day or two during those off-service weeks.