Practicing/specializing in Canada after dental school in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minteverything

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For context, I'm a Canadian who was accepted to a US dental school. Although I'm uncertain of whether or not I'll specialize, I'm hoping to come back to practice. Can anyone comment on how this process would work? Is it better to specialize in the States and come back, or specialize here? Should I practice as a GP for a period of time here, and then specialize? There's a lot to consider so if anyone's gone through the process I'd really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it would be a good idea to practice to pay off some of those US loans and gain a better sense that the specialty is one you are interested in.
If you specialize in Canada that will not be a problem to work in Canada but if you have not completed licensing exams in the US then specializing in Canada may not be enough for licensure in the US should you chose to practice there in the future. Either way there is no major limitation. Your US degree may make you more unique among applicants to Canadian schools so you may end up with more interview offers/acceptances in Canada.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also a Canadian who is studying at US dental school and I also plan on coming back to practice in Canada afterwards. In terms of specialization it really depends on which one you are inclined on and in Canada as you know spots are limited and for some specialties like ortho at UofT and Western they favor ppl with some experience working before applying. Regardless it is easy process coming back to practice in Canada.

Reactions: 1 user