Practicing verbal is such a downer...how do you guys motivate yourself to do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trojanMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The verbal section is the only thing that really stresses me out!! For me, it just requires immense focus. I seriously have to use every brain cell I own and it is tiring. Practicing it is somewhat bearable, but taking a practice test with a verbal section makes me want to vomit. I have about 3 weeks left and I really want to focus my efforts on practice tests, but the thought of having to put up with hour verbal sections is really deterring me

How do you guys deal with the beast that is verbal? Any motivational suggestions???:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard stories and advices, that the best way to deal with the verbal passage is to think you are reading someone's paper and critiquing it and looking for the theme. It works for my friend, personally I try to get interested into the passage as much as I can. Believe me some of the verbal passages can be a downer meaning no one wants to read about humanties and art discussions and reality vs nature all that stuff. But I say just try to get interested into the passage it will help if not much at least on some of the passages. Good luck!

Perhaps try studying in a different way. Maybe try doing one or two passages at a time, rather than a complete test all at once. Time yourself while practicing though. If you practice in smaller chunks, you can really analyze your answers and thought processes much more when you are correcting since it will all be fresh in your head.

I'm not suggesting that you always use this method, since I think that building endurance is also important. I have just used this method to keep studying less stressful and less exhausting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whether it actually makes a difference or not, I've found myself to be more focused on everything, but especially verbal, after having a cup of coffee. Most of my mistakes are simply glazing over important details, and it really seems that one cup helps me really focus.

I usually enjoy reading the passages. What I really hate are the questions. :laugh: It's like they are meant to make your life a living hell.

If you get tired easily make sure that you don't do verbal while you can't focus, cuz then your kinda wasting your time if you ask me. When I'm trying to study verbal, and I find myself spacing out or just mentally tired and unable to focus I go do something else or study something else. I would suggest doing it close to when you wake up, cuz your brain is usually the most fresh then and you can focus a lot more easily than later, especially at night when your tired - it works for me.

Lately I've felt like physics is the worst thing to sit through. PS is my strong section but I'm just so sick of it at this point.

Verbal is like training for a marathon. I actually don't find it too bad, and at this point I'd rather do another verbal practice then look at another optics question.

easiest way to motivate yourself? well if you did bad on that section that should be motivation enough

the motivation is that you do good in verbal and the better you do in verbal, the less better you have to do in the other sections. now i KNOW this is a flawed psychology and you should strive to do your best in all sections but if you need some motivation...