Pre-Allo to Allo dropoff?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bodonid

Dr. Spaceman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre-Allo has over 1.5 million posts, which is 5x Pre-Dental and 8x Pre-Osteo. Any ideas about why the Allo thread is so much weaker compared to Dent and Osteo? Does it have to do with old post deletion, or do more Pre-Allo students quit SDNing once they get accepted??

Just curious....

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-Allo has over 1.5 million posts, which is 5x Pre-Dental and 8x Pre-Osteo. Any ideas about why the Allo thread is so much weaker compared to Dent and Osteo? Does it have to do with old post deletion, or do more Pre-Allo students quit SDNing once they get accepted??

Just curious....
B/c med students dont have a lot of free time?? Just a thought.

Most of the frequent posters here will disappear once they start medical school. I've been around long enough, and it always happens. Honestly I'm not 100% sure why. You do have less time as a medical student, but premeds are pretty busy, too. I think lots of students just to move to discussion boards associated with their school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I kind of take issue with both of those things. For one, dental and osteopath students (I would think) would be just as busy as med students (right?). Also, the class boards on SDN don't get much traffic at all. Do most schools have their own somewhere else, or on their website or something? Only MCW and a couple more have highly trafficked boards here.

I kind of take issue with both of those things. For one, dental and osteopath students (I would think) would be just as busy as med students (right?). Also, the class boards on SDN don't get much traffic at all. Do most schools have their own somewhere else, or on their website or something? Only MCW and a couple more have highly trafficked boards here.

Yes! And we continued to be noticed.

I started posting on SDN during M1 year right before an exam block, so I can't comment on the preallo to allo drop off. I do know a bunch of the current MCW M2s, and even M3s who stopped posting once they started med school. They just lost interest. Occasionally one pops on and says hi in the class threads. Some still lurk a lot.

As far as networking within the class, most classes don't rely on SDN for this. My class uses facebook to plan a lot of our social events and we have a wiki site that lets us share academic info.

As for posting on SDN once accepted, a lot of people that come just use SDN for the application process and then leave once they've got their acceptance.

Also a factor is that many pre-allo posters probably never make it to allo

oh-snap.jpg

I would also think that many people discover SDN when they are applying to medschool and rely on the community here while they are going through the application process. Once in medical school, students are surrounded by a new community that has the same interests and can offer the same support they found on SDN. As a bonus, the community at the med school is likely more reliable (since it is not anonymous) and can give answers to very specific questions regarding classes, rotations, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if these same people started to peruse SDN again once they begin applying for residencies in order to get a feel for what it is like at other schools and hospitals. I don't know if that's true...just my opinion.

Just in case you didn't know this already, osteopathic students are medical students.

Part of it is the time. Part of it is people don't need the help anymore and stop coming. Thats a huge part of it. You don't necessarily lose ALL the pre-allos as it may seem, but there isn't that much to post about in Allo. Most med students have a support system built into their school.

So its a combo of fewer posters and nothing to talk about.

I think you'll find most of the med students who still post do so mostly in pre-allo still.

There's just not a lot of interest to me in the allo forum. I mostly read the specialty forums for fields I'm interested in now, although I do browse allo every now and then too. I guess I get my fill of talking about the med school experience with my classmates.