pre-calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudecoolname

words under my username
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my counselor advised me to take Pre-calculus, Does this count toward my Calculus 1 pre-req. credit, or am I going to have to take Calc. 1 later on?

Members don't see this ad.

Prefix "pre" means it precedes Calculus class. You will need to take a Calc class once you are done with pre- Calc.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school catalog says I need Pre-cal. and Trigonometry in order to take Calc. 1 OR permision from the department head.

So, Im thinking after I take Pre-cal. Im going to ask the Department head if I can just skip Trig. and take Calculus 1.

I scored pretty well on my ACT math and I made an A in college Algebra. I know basic trig alread like "Soh cah toa" or what ever, does it really involve much more than that?

My school catalog says I need Pre-cal. and Trigonometry in order to take Calc. 1 OR permision from the department head.

So, Im thinking after I take Pre-cal. Im going to ask the Department head if I can just skip Trig. and take Calculus 1.

I scored pretty well on my ACT math and I made an A in college Algebra. I know basic trig alread like "Soh cah toa" or what ever, does it really involve much more than that?

Cool name, dude. I would talk to your department head now to see if you can go right into the Calc. If you get algebra, it's no big deal.

Are you in high school? I still would suggest taking pre-calc, yea it is more than just soh cah toa. Or ask the counselor if you can take a placement exam first and see how you score first, because without good foundation on trig, it's hard to do well.
I took calc I (AB) and II (BC) in high school after I took algebra, geometry and pre-calc. I felt I had strong foundation which prepared me well for calc, so I got 5 on both Calc AB and BC AP test.

You need to have a great grasp of algebra to do well in Calc. The trig stuff is easy. It's all about recognizing how you can manipulate equation A into Equation B. You can teach yourself basic trig identities (enough for calc I anyway.)

Ok well thanks alot for the advise guys, ill probably talk to the department head for advise pretty soon

I'm just finishing up calc now...I took precalc my freshman yr of undergrad (8 yrs ago so didn't remember anything)and I've never taken a trig class... Yes, I did have to get signed in by the department head and yes the first week was hard as hell for me, and review for others ( who already took the prereqs)...but after that first week I was all good... Your going to have to work hard in either precalc or calc anyway so I took a chance...if your a hardworker and focussed you can do it!!!btw I have the highest grade in the class, so stay positive...I didn't want to waste money and time taking precalc when it wouldn't help towards prereqs anyways...Hope this put things into perspective better for you...good luck

^Thanks

Yea if I would have known this sooner I would have talked to the Head of the Math dept. before registration. Im not sure if I can change anything at this point, but we'll see.