Pre-clinical grades and fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NecFasc92

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

Normally I just read threads but a topic of interest to me has been on my mind and I couldn't find the answer to my Q. Currently I'm heavily considering peds (along with a couple of other related specialities). My question is simple: what bearing does pre clinical grades have on fellowship application? I'm assuming your steps/ residency performance/ research are the main things people look at, but if an otherwise excellent candidate failed a class or two (maybe even repeated a year?) during MS1, would this be a significant hurdle to getting into fellowship?? For reference I'm mainly considering Neo or PICU.

Thank you!!!

I'm an MS4 and so do not have so much experience with this, but my assumption would be that preclinical and even clinical grades while in medical school have little to no bearing on your fellowship chances. I would assume your performance in residency is what they're looking for.

please correct me if I'm wrong, peeps with more experience!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Even if the applicant had multiple failures during MS1 and had to repeat the year???

I think this would have an effect on getting into residency in the first place, once you are in residency, no body cares.

I would assume this would be looked into in residency applications.

Even if the applicant had multiple failures during MS1 and had to repeat the year???

Yes, as others mentioned, this will be far more important for residency than fellowship. It obviously wouldn't help a fellowship application, but most fellowship applications boil down to Step scores, letters of recommendation and extracurricular/research activities.

For fellowship application you do need to submit your medical school transcript. Even if the program is aware that you needed to repeat MS1 year, if you do reasonably well on your three step scores, your clerkship rotations, and you are a strong resident with good letters of recommendation, I think any fellowship would overlook your need to repeat MS1 year. You have plenty of time to turn around your prospects. Also keep in mind, there are NICU and PICU programs that go unfilled each year and are looking for candidates, and I'd imagine they will take candidates with some flaws. See: https://www.appd.org/communications/positions.cfm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.