Pre-clinical Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is considered an average overall grade in pre-clinical courses?

• 91+

• 85-90

• 80-84

• 75-79

Results are only viewable after voting.

fresnomike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
All,

While I've seen multiple threads detailing how pre-clinical grades may not have a large impact in comparison to Step 1, clinical grades, etc.. What would you all consider an "average" medical student in terms of pre-clinical grades? I know that many schools are pass/fail, however is above 80 in all courses good? Above 85? Curious to know the general concensus of what grades we should be aiming for (to at least be average), even if our individual goals will vary depending on step 1 scores and speciality preferences.

Members don't see this ad.

the number is meaningless... it is relative

Reactions: 3 users
I am going to guess that you are "below average" in Statistics.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to guess that you are "below average" in Statistics.

Lol the actual grade 50th percentile are making varies between schools was the point and question I was trying to ask, but thank you.

Lol the actual grade 50th percentile are making varies between schools was the point and question I was trying to ask, but thank you.

English grade low too?
Really not sure what you're trying to say.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm, I don't see "P" as an option? ;)

Its right next to 'Family Medicine' ;)
OwmoE_s-200x150.gif

Reactions: 7 users
English grade low too?

You understand you can just ignore OP's post rather than act as a child and make fun of them for asking a question, right? Wow.

Reactions: 4 users
Around 85-90 IMO

I see. I was trying to understand what different schools averages were in their courses, since some may have averages of 80 vs 85 vs 90 etc. even some pass/fail schools still release number grades to the students per exam, even if they get "P/F" overall on their transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
You understand you can just ignore OP's post rather than act as a child and make fun of them for asking a question, right? Wow.

He's just mad he went into derm and now his family doesn't respect him anymore lol so he's acting out

My own course avg has been a consistent low 80s for years.

Here's my rule of thumb:

70-75: You're in trouble, especially if you're only too happy to merely pass.
75-79: buck up and you'll be OK. You're not out of the woods
80-85: you're fine
86-89: You're more than fine!
90-100: Top of the Class; top scorer on Boards. Nice specialty bound at a good residency.

All,

While I've seen multiple threads detailing how pre-clinical grades may not have a large impact in comparison to Step 1, clinical grades, etc.. What would you all consider an "average" medical student in terms of pre-clinical grades? I know that many schools are pass/fail, however is above 80 in all courses good? Above 85? Curious to know the general concensus of what grades we should be aiming for (to at least be average), even if our individual goals will vary depending on step 1 scores and speciality preferences.

During my 2nd year, my rule of thumb was aim for 84 or higher. 83 on the lower end of what you'd call the B range in college, >85 would be self-infuriating because I was "almost a 90", 85 could go either way, I was comfortable with setting 84% as a personal target. This was born from the fact that the spread is particularly narrow on the bell shaped curve and despite being a total boss on the exams, my 93 & change average at the end of M1 was just a hair shy of first quartile - so I decided not worth it to always push push push to be #1. That said, the medical school I attend touts a P/F grading system but our individual course numerical grades are reported on our transcripts when we apply to residency, so for me anything below an 80 was a danger zone.

Its right next to 'Family Medicine' ;)
Also, love this. In first year a classmate bombed our first anatomy exam and in the cadaver lab one night someone was trying to give them some reprieve with the "you know what they call doctor who graduated bottom of their class, right?" and someone else chimed in and said "The Family Doctor" - not knocking FM at all, but that was probably one of my favorite memories from my anatomy days.

Last edited:
you guys should follow my guidelines: >95 is great, 90-95 is pass, <90 is fail.
Aim for the moon....and hit the moon. F the stars.

Reactions: 3 users
English grade low too?

LMFAO. Let me try to interpret this. Hmmmm. He's trying to say that the grade corresponding to the 50th percentile of test takers varies between schools. A median grade at school X could be a 80%, but at Harvard, the same exam could be a 90% for the median.

LMFAO. Let me try to interpret this. Hmmmm. He's trying to say that the grade corresponding to the 50th percentile of test takers varies between schools. A median grade at school X could be a 80%, but at Harvard, the same exam could be a 90% for the median.
But if it varies so much between schools, what good are these responses to the OP? I mean, by that logic, wouldn't the only responses worth reading be the ones that gave an average score at the school OP is attending...?

Reactions: 1 users
He's just mad he went into derm and now his family doesn't respect him anymore lol so he's acting out

Oh, you're back again and following me. How adorable :).

Protip: no one is mad they did Derm. Plenty are mad they didn't or couldn't.

Last edited:
But if it varies so much between schools, what good are these responses to the OP? I mean, by that logic, wouldn't the only responses worth reading be the ones that gave an average score at the school OP is attending...?
....aaaand to continue that logic, OP shouldn't even ask the question to begin with! If he wants to score average...then he should score average, uhhh right? lol.

Theoretically, if he's average at his school, then he should get the average step 1 score. And if the average step 1 score at his school is about average for the nation (which it most likely would be), then he'll be average. average. average. average.

Oh, you're back again and following me. How adorable :).

Protip: no one is mad they did Derm. Plenty are mad they didn't or couldn't.

I'm following you? In your dreams creep, you're in my forum now...

Protip: say whatever allows you to sleep at night and cope with familial pressure ;)

you guys should follow my guidelines: >95 is great, 90-95 is pass, <90 is fail.
Aim for the moon....and hit the moon. F the stars.
or hit the pavement after jumping off a building. Same initial trajectory I guess.

I'm following you? In your dreams creep, you're in my forum now...

Protip: say whatever allows you to sleep at night and cope with familial pressure ;)

All this saltiness because your request for medical advice in the Derm forum was shut down. Sad.

And girl, if you think picking a specialty based on other peoples' opinions is the way to go, you're in for a world of hurt.

this is all silly

preclinical -
you bust your ass for a P in med school
you double bust your ass for higher
and sometimes when you bust your ass you barely pass
others will do better

therefore, starting out, assume you need to bust your ass 110% and see where that puts you

/the end

All this saltiness because your request for medical advice in the Derm forum was shut down. Sad.

And girl, if you think picking a specialty based on other peoples' opinions is the way to go, you're in for a world of hurt.

It wasn't medical advice lol it was a genuine academic question...not sure who you even are tho
Also everyone is different and some people being respected is important to them so to each his own, stop trying to impose your worldview on others

+1. This thread feels like middle school. Bullying, snark, sarcasm, petty argument, borderline stalking (or allegations of stalking). Good grief.

OP, medical school is a professional school, with huge variation between schools. At some point you gotta just learn how to gauge for yourself if your learning is adequate. (Outside of residency, there won't even be textbooks. You'll be either be learning from peers, directly scrutinising the primary literature or publishing the literature yourself.) How do you do you gauge? Some options. Look at your peers. Who do you admire? Do as well as they do. Or use a QBank if Step 1 is your goal. Or look at grade distributions. Are you happy being average amongst smart and hard-working medical students? (And maybe you should be). Then things are gravy. Do you feel confident during PBLs? Could you teach an imaginary colleague that were one month behind you? All of of this is up to you and your personal goals. Just don't rely on somewhat arbitrary numbers and hope for the best.

But seriously @Crayola227 has the best advice. Bust your balls. See where that gets you and then titrate for sanity and/or adjust your approach to learning the material.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Just saying how your grade range, is a quick recipe for suicide if anything below 90 is failing. "Initial trajectory" was talking about the initial jump off, either ending at the moon or down below. Bad comparison/joke on my part, since you were clearly joking.

Just saying how your grade range, is a quick recipe for suicide if anything below 90 is failing. "Initial trajectory" was talking about the initial jump off, either ending at the moon or down below. Bad comparison/joke on my part, since you were clearly joking.
Well then...surprise! I was kinda serious
Don't hate the player, hate the game.