shivji

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
If I have a gpa pf 2.5 and 150 hrs of shadowing. I have lots of volunteer experience in the hospital. I also worked during school. Still have to write the DAT in around july or august. Can someone help me by telling me the my chances into dentistry anywhere in the states. Your feedback will help to me understand my chacnes into dentistry.

Hybridtavo

Dr Ortegon
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2008
Status
Dentist
If I have a gpa pf 2.5 and 150 hrs of shadowing. I have lots of volunteer experience in the hospital. I also worked during school. Still have to write the DAT in around july or august. Can someone help me by telling me the my chances into dentistry anywhere in the states. Your feedback will help to me understand my chacnes into dentistry.
As mention before w a GPA that low forget it, sorry Mate.

OP
S

shivji

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
As mention before w a GPA that low forget it, sorry Mate.

it is obvious I will be working very hard to bring my gpa up. so it's not worth for me to apply this year i guess right?

daviddav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Athens, Ga
Status
Dental Student
The problem is that if you have enough credit hours now to graduate, how much could you possible bring your GPA up? I had 88 before this spring semester and I took 12 hours. I had a 3.71 and a 4.0 semester only brought my overall up to a 3.75. I just don't think it is possible to bring your grades up to the caliber that they need to be. I am sure that if you took A LOT more classes and with a grad program under your belt then MAYBE, but I am sure you would need 4.0 semesters from here onward. Plus, you would need to do AMAZING on the DAT. You don't have to listen to me or anyone else. Just trying to be realistic with you.

daviddav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Athens, Ga
Status
Dental Student
I didn't mean enough credit hours to graduate in my previous post. I meant to say enough credit hours to apply.

Hybridtavo

Dr Ortegon
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2008
Status
Dentist
it is obvious I will be working very hard to bring my gpa up. so it's not worth for me to apply this year i guess right?
Jackpot!!! If u can bring it up to a 3.2 at least if it is possible.
GL mate,next time maybe.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
Thank you everyone for your replies.

jigabodo: what does SMP mean.
Special Masters Program.
Masters program designed specifically for people who need remedial work to make them more competitive for medical/dental schools.

OP
S

shivji

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Special Masters Program.
Masters program designed specifically for people who need remedial work to make them more competitive for medical/dental schools.

how many classes do u take to have a good gpa per semester. (I was taking 5 per semester)

daviddav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Athens, Ga
Status
Dental Student
Are you talking about the SMP or regular semester hours? Personally, I took 37 Freshman year including summer, sophomore year I took 35, This past year I took/am taking 36 which includes this summer. It just depends on how you plan it. The most I took in any given semester is 15 which is 4-5 classes, and the least I took was this past semester which was 3 4 hour classes for a total of 12.

infernobutterfl

Pyro user
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2005
Status
As a lot of other people have mentioned, you will need either a post bac or a SMP and a high DAT score to be closely on the same lvl as others with a 3.5 GPA and an average DAT score.

More importantly tho, I think you need to take a hard look at yourself and determine if you are absolutely set for a career in Dentistry. Given your GPA and your lack of knowledge about SMP, post bac, and dental school acceptance in general, you need to look at yourself and make sure you know what you are doing and what you are getting yourself into.

But once you have determine what you want, there is always a way to become a dentist (assuming you have the smarts and the devotion of course).

OP
S

shivji

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
As a lot of other people have mentioned, you will need either a post bac or a SMP and a high DAT score to be closely on the same lvl as others with a 3.5 GPA and an average DAT score.

More importantly tho, I think you need to take a hard look at yourself and determine if you are absolutely set for a career in Dentistry. Given your GPA and your lack of knowledge about SMP, post bac, and dental school acceptance in general, you need to look at yourself and make sure you know what you are doing and what you are getting yourself into.

But once you have determine what you want, there is always a way to become a dentist (assuming you have the smarts and the devotion of course).

"lack of knowledge" lol ur funny. I think you completely misunderstood me, maybe just the way I worte it.
my first post clearly indicates my desire for dentistry, I have "150" hrs with 4 different dentists and should have about 100 more this summer along with working at the hospital. As soon as the word "SMP" was unfolded I knew exactly what it was, I just didn't know it in short form.

But u know what I'm not a hater, so I thank you for your concern, I really do appreciate it.