Pre-Dent Postbac --UMDNJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbarry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone do the Biomedical science program at UMDNJ?? Apparently once your accepted its hard to get the dental classes and thats the whole reason why I want to go there. Did anyone attend this program and did you have this problem????

Members don't see this ad.

I am doing/ did the unmatriculated version where you're limited to the # of credits you can take, but still take all the dental classes prescribed. It's dental physio in the fall and dental biochem in the spring. They are extremely challenging...and by extremely I mean all the graduate students who are taking the class are on the same curve as the dental students.

Now this differs from programs like BU where when you take medical school classes as part of your masters/ post bacc., achieving a mean score (be it a 50 or a 79) guarantees you a B and one std. deviation above the mean entitles you to an A-/A and hence you're not being graded directly with the medical students.

At umdnj, for the 2 classes i mentioned, you are on par with the dental class in terms of scoring, a huge disadvantage but also an advantage if you do well. Its very difficult to get a B+ or above. Of the 8 or so dental post baccs who took physio, there was 1 B, all the rest (including myself) are remediating to get a better grade this summer.....