Pre-Dental Masters and Post-Bacc Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Which postbach would a class of 2009 graduate from a good UC, but with low GPA (2.6), have a chance?

2009 Graduate, worked in biotech for 2 years, looking to go back.

What would you do in this case?

Which postbach would a class of 2009 graduate from a good UC, but with low GPA (2.6), have a chance?

2009 Graduate, worked in biotech for 2 years, looking to go back.

What would you do in this case?

A 2.6 will be very difficult to bring up to a 3.0 let alone bringing it up into a competitive range for dental school. You have already spent a couple of years working in the real world which is definitely a plus in some cases - it shows a sense of maturity and helps to slightly distance you from your poor undergraduate academic performance. I would recommend going back to your undergrad or any local university and apply as a non-degree seeking student. You need to take at least 3 science courses a semester to get your GPA up. Meanwhile, call some dental schools that you are highly interested in attending and get in touch which the dean of admissions and see what else they recommend... this will benefit you in the future when it comes to applying - its always good to have your name out there... they want to see that as an older student, you are taking the initiative to do whatever it takes to get into dental school. After a few semesters of solid As in your science courses (post-bacc)... either continue or apply to a local grad school where you can get your masters in one year. This is where many people have different opinions. Some people may say continue doing your post-bac whereas others will highly recommend going to grad school. I would recommend the latter as you want to prove to dental school adcoms that you are capable of handling graduate-level science coursework. Either way, bottom line is... you have to get your GPA up if you truly want to go to dental school

Members don't see this ad :)
Rubber Dam Man - I have a nearly 2.6 GPA from a very good school. I want to get a master but most Master Postbac require a minimun of 3.0. Do you think they maybe flexible to take me in ? Thanks !

Rubber Dam Man - I have a nearly 2.6 GPA from a very good school. I want to get a master but most Master Postbac require a minimun of 3.0. Do you think they maybe flexible to take me in ? Thanks !

Personally, I don't know of any masters programs that will accept someone with below a 3.0... (at least not in my area). I would recommend calling the office of graduate school admissions at some of your local schools and asking them. The requirements for admission may also be on their websites. In the event that you can't find a school that will admit you into their graduate program, then I recommend that you return to your undergrad or local university to begin your "informal" postbac. In other words, you need to take multiple science classes/semester to get your GPA up near that 3.0 mark... even if you take 3 science courses this fall and 3 more in the spring... it might be enough to get you into a masters program granted you do extremely well (even though your overall GPA will only come up to about 2.8ish, if that)...

If you're referring to the MA at Midwestern (which I am currently enrolled in), it's about half premed and half predental. However, you would most likely have to apply after finishing the program; this means you would have to wait a year before matriculating. The program is fairly new (only about 2-3 years old) so there are no reliable success rates yet.

My own personal rankings for masters programs are as follows (I can't really speak for post-bac programs b/c I didn't do much research on those when I was applying). The criteria is mostly based on what program will get you into dental school the fastest.

1.) Boston University (take actual dental school courses!, research opportunities, 2 yrs long)
2.) UMDNJ (take actual dental school courses! - one year long; said to be in a very urban, dangerous area)
3.) Nova (gets the nod over Tufts due to cheaper tuition and smaller class size)
4.) Tufts
5.) Barry (gets the nod over MWU b/c of its well-known linkages w/Nova)
6.) Midwestern (fairly new program, not established w/other schools, doesn't have any preference for its own students like other programs do, etc.)

your favorite post bac are exactly mine !

I am very interested in your expriences of applying. Can you share with me ?

Why other school did not accept you and what is your undergrad GPA ? how you like your current program ?

Yes, Barry has a link to Nova Dental school, but I wouldn't say it's a link where they'll give you preference.

has anyone looked into a PSM? Professional Science Masters?

I was looking into a masters in nutrition and i spoke to one of the people at the office and they said a PSM is also available.

from their website: www.sciencemasters.com
The Professional Science Master's (PSM) is an innovative, new graduate degree designed to allow students to pursue advanced training in science or mathematics, while simultaneously developing workplace skills highly valued by employers. PSM programs consist of two years of academic training in an emerging or interdisciplinary area, along with a professional component that may include internships and "cross-training" in workplace skills, such as business, communications, and regulatory affairs. All have been developed in concert with employers and are designed to dovetail into present and future professional career opportunities.

i dont know how this will go with ADCOMs since its not 100% science. But it looks like a watered down masters. its almost 60%science 40%non-science.

Hello!

I was wondering if you get into a post bacc program do you re-apply to dental school during the year you are in the post bacc program? Will there end up being gap year or do you go straight into dental school if accepted after completion of your post bacc program?

All help is very much appreciated! :)

I have been told it depends on the schools you are applying to and your undergrad/DAT stats.

When would be the correct time to apply for post-bac? During fall senior year of college when you know dental school wont accept you? or would you apply at the end of your senior year?

Hey DoublexJack,

I would apply asap since post-bacc and masters programs are the back-up plan to most dental school applicants.

In my case, I applied super late and luckily still got accepted.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I know the last post for this topic was a while ago so i was wondering if there was a new list of updated masters programs or people who did them and what they thought of them

Reactions: 1 users
Iowa State University- Master's (non-thesis) in Biomedical Sciences. August-May. 30 Hours. Can apply with DAT scores. 2/3 pre-dents in this program were accepted to dental school (5+ of the pre-dents didn't apply this cycle). REALLY affordable out of state tuition. This program was the defining change in my application that led to my acceptance into my top-ranked dental school.

http://vetmed.iastate.edu/non-thesis/

Reactions: 2 users
I'm starting this thread as a place where people can recommend Masters and Post-Bacc programs that are specifically designed for Pre-Dental students. I know there are already a few threads discussing this topic but they have become muddled with extraneous dialog. Please provide any relevant information on programs you know of that are catered towards people applying to dental school. As of now, the programs I know of are:

1) Midwestern - Master of Arts in Biomedical Science

2) Nova Southeastern - Master of Biomedical Sciences Program

. 3) University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry Pre-Dental Post-baccalaureate Program .

4) Creighton University School of Dentistry Post-baccalaureate Program .

5) Baylor College of Dentistry Pre-Dental Post-baccalaureate Program.

6) Portland State University Pre-Dental Post-baccalaureate Program.

7) Towson University Pre-Dental Post-baccalaureate Program.

8) Tufts University School of Dental Medicine Post-baccalaureate Program
9) Southern Illinois University School of Medicine: MEDPREP- medical/dental education preparatory program.

10) Barry University Masters in Biomedical Science

Hey!
I am in the BMS program at Barry doing the 18month dental track. I think the program is well designed to help get you into dental school. If you have any questions about the program let me know!!

Reactions: 3 users
How has the program helped you, what was your major in undergrad and gpa if you dont mind me asking

Hey!
I am in the BMS program at Barry doing the 18month dental track. I think the program is well designed to help get you into dental school. If you have any questions about the program let me know!! .........

18 months? Did you wait to apply for dental school so you could finish the 18 months? Their website says that the track placement is determined by the admissions committee, can you tell me why you are doing the 18 month and not 12 month? I'm unsure if I want to take a year or two to get my masters. Thanks so much for your help.

18 months? Did you wait to apply for dental school so you could finish the 18 months? Their website says that the track placement is determined by the admissions committee, can you tell me why you are doing the 18 month and not 12 month? I'm unsure if I want to take a year or two to get my masters. Thanks so much for your help..........

I originally wanted to enrol in the 1-year track but I applied really late, so they only had spots open to start during the Winter semester (January 2014). At the time, if you started during the winter semester, your only options were the 18month or the 2year track because of Biochemistry ( they only offer part one in the fall and part two in the winter). I believe they changed that though, so now you can do which ever one you want, granted your gpa is high enough to be in the 1year track.
I personally like the 18month track, you will be taking 2-3 classes per semesters, so you have a lot of time to study and shadow/get involved. I felt like other students in the 1year were a lot more crunched on time.
I applied to dental school after I finished my first semester at Barry. Most dental admissions advisors told me not to apply before I completed at least one semester of my masters (i.e. they will not give you an interview before they see how you are doing in this program first.)

let me know if you need anything else :)

Reactions: 2 users
Let's say dentistry doesn't work but you still have your masters in biomedical sciences or oral sciences...what can you do with that besides work in the industry?

I originally wanted to enrol in the 1-year track but I applied really late, so they only had spots open to start during the Winter semester (January 2014). At the time, if you started during the winter semester, your only options were the 18month or the 2year track because of Biochemistry ( they only offer part one in the fall and part two in the winter). I believe they changed that though, so now you can do which ever one you want, granted your gpa is high enough to be in the 1year track.
I personally like the 18month track, you will be taking 2-3 classes per semesters, so you have a lot of time to study and shadow/get involved. I felt like other students in the 1year were a lot more crunched on time.
I applied to dental school after I finished my first semester at Barry. Most dental admissions advisors told me not to apply before I completed at least one semester of my masters (i.e. they will not give you an interview before they see how you are doing in this program first.)

let me know if you need anything else :) .
thanks for the information:) Just wondering are the 2/3 classes per semester all you had, or were there other things? I feel like thats quite a low number of classes. thanks!

I just had 2/3 classes per semester. Remember that you can't really compare the number of classes from an undergraduate program to a graduate program. The workload is definitely much heavier. Having said so, it is also kind of nice, because it gives you some free time to volunteer, shadow or even just do something fun.

Let's say dentistry doesn't work but you still have your masters in biomedical sciences or oral sciences...what can you do with that besides work in the industry?

Well that really depends on the person, you can choose to reapply the following year or apply to another profession in the health care field. Some people actually end up applying to the podiatry school at barry (I don't know much about it though), you can also go into teaching or research if that is something you are interested in.

Well that really depends on the person, you can choose to reapply the following year or apply to another profession in the health care field. Some people actually end up applying to the podiatry school at barry (I don't know much about it though), you can also go into teaching or research if that is something you are interested in.

I see. Thanks bud.

After reading through most of these posts and not seeing anything about Barry University's Biomedical Science 1 year masters program, I figured I would try tell you a little bit about it.

I went to Barry last year and was in the 1 year Biomedical Science masters program. I applied to several schools last year while I was in the program and was accepted to SIU School of Dental Medicine on December 1st (the first day the ADA allows schools to send out acceptances) and received 5 other interviews. I did not attend the other interviews because my fiance (now wife) lived in St. Louis and SIU was the best choice for me. My stats were okay (3.55 in undergrad with an 18 aa, 18 ts, and 22 perceptual). Being in the Barry masters program showed the schools that I really was dedicated to my studies and would do anything and everything it takes to get in. The program has made my life in dental school so much easier than almost every one of my dental colleagues because of the core curriculum that I took at Barry. Having taken Gross Anatomy (Full Body and a separate Head and Neck Anatomy Course), Histology, Biochemistry (I and II), Neuroanatomy, Physiology, and several other core classes that you WILL have to take in either dental or medical school, I was more prepared for dental school than almost everyone in my class. I now have my masters degree (that I got in 9.5 months and did not have to write a thesis) and am excelling in all of my dental school classes. As to your question about whether or not they allow non-US residents to enroll in the program.... I had a guy from France and a girl from Vietnam in my class. They were both on student visas so I am sure you could attend Barry if you can attain a student visa.

When I was applying, I did not send in my application until mid April and got into the 1-year program about a week later by phone call. The application is very simple and can be found at http://www.barry.edu/bms/Default.asp.

I went back to Miami about 3 weeks ago and saw a lot of the people I went to school with. As of now, there are only 2 of my 15 closest friends that have NOT been accepted into a school yet. Not bad if you ask me.

I hope all of this has helped. I would recommend Barry to anyone who asks where they can go to better their chances at acceptance to a health professional school. Oh yea... and did I mention that Barry is 15 minutes from South Beach in Miami, FL? That was the deciding factor for me!
Thank you for the information ! I will most definitely consider BU

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

If it wasn't mentioned there's also the Prehealth Professional Academic Program (PHAP) at CSU East Bay in Hayward. It is a postbaccalaureate program.

Below are the people who got into dental school this year and their stats.

Attachments

• received_10208036891493548.jpeg
    received_10208036891493548.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 113
This is an old thread but I found so much useful information on it. I was also just wondering that if I do a masters program will those biochem and microbio courses count toward the dental school admission requirements? I am a career changer post-bacc student but was thinking of doing a masters next fall. I want to study for DAT so I am planing on taking genetics and anatomy or an art class and then apply June 1, 2017. But, I will just be starting the masters so i know they would want to see performance before I am done anyways. But I won't be done post-bacc either way...

This is an old thread but I found so much useful information on it. I was also just wondering that if I do a masters program will those biochem and microbio courses count toward the dental school admission requirements? I am a career changer post-bacc student but was thinking of doing a masters next fall. I want to study for DAT so I am planing on taking genetics and anatomy or an art class and then apply June 1, 2017. But, I will just be starting the masters so i know they would want to see performance before I am done anyways. But I won't be done post-bacc either way...

Yes, the biochem and microbio courses you take in post-bacc should count towards admissions requirements unless adcoms from those schools say otherwise.

Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry just started one.

per the email, it will be starting this May and is one year long and 40k

anyone have any opinions on this program/school?

Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry just started one.

per the email, it will be starting this May and is one year long and 40k

anyone have any opinions on this program/school?
There is a Temple Kornberg post-bacc thread on SDN as well ass an official Temple Kornberg post-bacc website, and I am a current student. PM me if you want more details. I highly recommend this program as it is nothing like the other master's/post-bacc programs.