Pre-dental parents!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jbrowndds

SMILE ON!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find myself in positions where I can't seem to bring in the best grades. I live an hour away from school without Dallas traffic. Anyone who is from Texas knows that 1 hr no traffic means 2:30 with traffic in Dallas. I can't take advantage of the things I really need to be successful like tutoring and office hour because I have to pick up my kid. Not to mention I am not the best at self teaching. Actually I suck at it. What kind of system do you have in place so you can be successful? I feel like I'm not going to to reach my goal if I continue like this. It's like I'm fighting a losing battle.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you pick a school closer to you? If you're wasting 3+ hours driving a day that time would be much better spent studying.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you pick a school closer to you? If you're wasting 3+ hours driving a day that time would be much better spent studying.
It's too late. I'm going into senior year. I lived 15 minutes away for one semester then I had to move out. The only reason I could transfer was because I'm not a biology major. Most of my credit won't transfer over.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should check out http://ankisrs.net/. I use it for every single class I take except math and physics classes. This is my study method using Anki, and it isn't just ANY flashcard program

1) listen to recorded lecture and make Anki cards from the powerpoint: now you will never have to listen to lecture or look at powerpoint again
2) study the flashcards as I make them: so you don't have to learn them again during review period
3) during 'review' period, I study all flashcards I made, even if it's 300 flashcards.
4) when studying flashcards, I answer the question on a piece of paper like I'm answering a free-response test: this allows you to write out all you actually know and indentifies what you don't. At the same time you're reinforcing your memory because of the flashcard schedule
5) do nothing except relax the day before exam

Reactions: 3 users
You should check out http://ankisrs.net/. I use it for every single class I take except math and physics classes. This is my study method using Anki, and it isn't just ANY flashcard program

1) listen to recorded lecture and make Anki cards from the powerpoint: now you will never have to listen to lecture or look at powerpoint again
2) study the flashcards as I make them: so you don't have to learn them again during review period
3) during 'review' period, I study all flashcards I made, even if it's 300 flashcards.
4) when studying flashcards, I answer the question on a piece of paper like I'm answering a free-response test: this allows you to write out all you actually know and indentifies what you don't. At the same time you're reinforcing your memory because of the flashcard schedule
5) do nothing except relax the day before exam
Thanks. Only problem is Biochem and Physics are really all that I struggle in.

Back in my second or third year of college, I began to change my study habits. I knew something was wrong with the way I was studying because I kept thinking that I was fine for my midterm exams, but when test results came out, the grade proved otherwise.

I googled 'study methods medical student', and I came across what I would soon become familiar with as the best flashcard program I've ever used.

The heart of this program lies in the usage of the forgetting curve.

wozniak-spaced-repetition.jpg

Anki program uses this very concept for forgetting curve in a flashcard program that is a great tool for all students. Considering that after 10 days, you would have a 60% chance of remembering a key concept or problem, Anki will show cards to you that you are weak in (higher chance of forgetting), and present them to you until you are very strong (memorized). This way, you are very efficient with your study time. You'll never have to worry if you actually remember a concept or not, Anki will know.

For studying pathways, I love to draw things out. With a variety of colors and certain figures, it'll help the brain visualize the pathway and have an easier task in recalling the information. Sometimes I'll have to draw it several times to remember it.

We'll take the following example from Wikipedia concerning glycogen metabolism, specifically synthesis and breakdown.

Untitled.png

Synthesis

Glycogen synthesis is, unlike its breakdown, endergonic - it requires the input of energy. Energy for glycogen synthesis comes from uridine triphosphate (UTP), which reacts with glucose-1-phosphate, forming UDP-glucose, in a reaction catalysed by UTP—glucose-1-phosphate uridylyltransferase. Glycogen is synthesized from monomers of UDP-glucose initially by the protein glycogenin, which has two tyrosine anchors for the reducing end of glycogen, since glycogenin is a homodimer. After about eight glucose molecules have been added to a tyrosine residue, the enzyme glycogen synthase progressively lengthens the glycogen chain using UDP-glucose, adding α(1→4)-bonded glucose. The glycogen branching enzyme catalyzes the transfer of a terminal fragment of six or seven glucose residues from a nonreducing end to the C-6 hydroxyl group of a glucose residue deeper into the interior of the glycogen molecule. The branching enzyme can act upon only a branch having at least 11 residues, and the enzyme may transfer to the same glucose chain or adjacent glucose chains.

Breakdown

Main article: Glycogenolysis

Glycogen is cleaved from the nonreducing ends of the chain by the enzyme glycogen phosphorylase to produce monomers of glucose-1-phosphate:

Action of Glycogen Phosphorylase on Glycogen

In vivo, phosphorolysis proceeds in the direction of glycogen breakdown because the ratio of phosphate and glucose-1-phosphate is usually greater than 100.[12] Glucose-1-phosphate is then converted to glucose 6-phosphate (G6P) by phosphoglucomutase. A special debranching enzyme is needed to remove the α(1-6) branches in branched glycogen and reshape the chain into a linear polymer. The G6P monomers produced have three possible fates:

G6P can continue on the glycolysis pathway and be used as fuel.

G6P can enter the pentose phosphate pathway via the enzyme glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase to produce NADPH and 5-carbon sugars.

In the liver and kidney, G6P can be dephosphorylated back to glucose by the enzyme glucose 6-phosphatase. This is the final step in the gluconeogenesis pathway.

Clinical relevance

12528595_10207326923563966_1784317952_o.jpg

Now, as you can see in my picture of my drawing in Notability (iPad app), I associated the previous information in a picture that would make sense to me. A key part of this study technique is that you must have different colors. Just by having different colors, it can boost your memory of the image so much more.

When combining both Anki and drawing, you'll be unstoppable!

Reactions: 5 users
Back in my second or third year of college, I began to change my study habits. I knew something was wrong with the way I was studying because I kept thinking that I was fine for my midterm exams, but when test results came out, the grade proved otherwise.

I googled 'study methods medical student', and I came across what I would soon become familiar with as the best flashcard program I've ever used.

Anki program uses this very concept for forgetting curve in a flashcard program that is a great tool for all students. Considering that after 10 days, you would have a 60% chance of remembering a key concept or problem, Anki will show cards to you that you are weak in (higher chance of forgetting), and present them to you until you are very strong (memorized). This way, you are very efficient with your study time. You'll never have to worry if you actually remember a concept or not, Anki will know.

For studying pathways, I love to draw things out. With a variety of colors and certain figures, it'll help the brain visualize the pathway and have an easier task in recalling the information. Sometimes I'll have to draw it several times to remember it.

We'll take the following example from Wikipedia concerning glycogen metabolism, specifically synthesis and breakdown.

Untitled.png

Synthesis

Glycogen synthesis is, unlike its breakdown, endergonic - it requires the input of energy. Energy for glycogen synthesis comes from uridine triphosphate (UTP), which reacts with glucose-1-phosphate, forming UDP-glucose, in a reaction catalysed by UTP—glucose-1-phosphate uridylyltransferase. Glycogen is synthesized from monomers of UDP-glucose initially by the protein glycogenin, which has two tyrosine anchors for the reducing end of glycogen, since glycogenin is a homodimer. After about eight glucose molecules have been added to a tyrosine residue, the enzyme glycogen synthase progressively lengthens the glycogen chain using UDP-glucose, adding α(1→4)-bonded glucose. The glycogen branching enzyme catalyzes the transfer of a terminal fragment of six or seven glucose residues from a nonreducing end to the C-6 hydroxyl group of a glucose residue deeper into the interior of the glycogen molecule. The branching enzyme can act upon only a branch having at least 11 residues, and the enzyme may transfer to the same glucose chain or adjacent glucose chains.

Breakdown

Glycogen is cleaved from the nonreducing ends of the chain by the enzyme glycogen phosphorylase to produce monomers of glucose-1-phosphate:

In vivo, phosphorolysis proceeds in the direction of glycogen breakdown because the ratio of phosphate and glucose-1-phosphate is usually greater than 100.[12] Glucose-1-phosphate is then converted to glucose 6-phosphate (G6P) by phosphoglucomutase. A special debranching enzyme is needed to remove the α(1-6) branches in branched glycogen and reshape the chain into a linear polymer. The G6P monomers produced have three possible fates:

G6P can enter the pentose phosphate pathway via the enzyme glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase to produce NADPH and 5-carbon sugars.

In the liver and kidney, G6P can be dephosphorylated back to glucose by the enzyme glucose 6-phosphatase. This is the final step in the gluconeogenesis pathway.

Clinical relevance

Now, as you can see in my picture of my drawing in Notability (iPad app), I associated the previous information in a picture that would make sense to me. A key part of this study technique is that you must have different colors. Just by having different colors, it can boost your memory of the image so much more.

Thank you. I will try these techniques.

I'm not a parent, but I also live in TX and have to drive all over tarnation. ;) Between work (2 jobs), class, and home, I lose 2-4 hrs/day to driving, depending on the day. It can be very stressful. I don't have the time or energy to attend office hours or tutoring sessions on top of that.

What I have found to be a big help is to watch YouTube vids explaining whatever topic we're learning in class. They usually do a way better job of explaining the info than my professor does.

Reactions: 1 users
You could also utilize your driving time by listening to audio books

Untitled.png

Synthesis

Breakdown

Clinical relevance

One of the best posts I've ever seen on SDN. +1.
You've earned yourself a Follower :)

Reactions: 3 users
While this isn't really relevant to your current situation, when you do matriculate to dental school, I would suggest living as close to the school as possible. If your kid will not be in a public school, you can save a ton of money by not caring about the school district assigned to that area. Or, if they will be out of school the first two years and starting Kindergarten your 3rd year, you could save money the first two years by living in a terrible school district and only move when they start school in order to not sacrifice their education. At that point, you won't be studying as much and school will be more like a job, and a longer commute won't be as detrimental.
I'll be moving closer to Baylor in a few months. My kid is going to kindergarten next year so I'm tied up on that. We will be okay. I'm going to take yalls advice and figure this thing out. I'm pretty much done with my harder classes after this semester and I'll be doing my post back at the local university so I should be out of the woods. This semester was a beast though with Biochem, physics, and a neuroscience class. I have 7 classes total I'm juggling.

I'll be moving closer to Baylor in a few months. My kid is going to kindergarten next year so I'm tied up on that. We will be okay. I'm going to take yalls advice and figure this thing out. I'm pretty much done with my harder classes after this semester and I'll be doing my post back at the local university so I should be out of the woods. This semester was a beast though with Biochem, physics, and a neuroscience class. I have 7 classes total I'm juggling.
Hang in there....

Untitled.png

Synthesis

Breakdown

Clinical relevance

My high school students used to complain when I made them draw their diagrams in different colors until they saw how helpful it was! It really does work.

Plus Anki + image occlusion is literally life changing.

Everything this person said is spot on. Seriously try this. I actually feel truly lucky that I started this in undergrad and grad school because I know these two methods will be so helpful in dental school.

I also use http://tomato-timer.com/# for my study timing. You study for 25 minutes, and rest for 5 minutes. For the rest period I usually drink water, use the restroom, or walk around. I do 1 entire pomodoro cycle, then take a 20minute nap to help me remember the information. Sleep is important for healthy mental and physical function. Sleeping >>> all-nighters. This study timing also allows you to not slack off because it forces you to be productive during the 25-minute period.

For my DAT exam, I did 40-minute study and 10-minute rest intervals. I always take naps :)

Screen-shot-2015-08-13-at-4.35.29-PM.png

I also use http://tomato-timer.com/# for my study timing. For my DAT exam, I did 40-minute study and 10-minute rest intervals. I always take naps :)

Not to hijack the thread but... did you follow the idea of taking a long rest after four cycles? I had not heard about the tomato timer till I read it on your post. Just trying to try out new study techniques. That Anki post of yours inspired me to finally put together a deck for a histology class I'm in. I've already studied more in the past two days than I have this whole semester on this course! so thanks! :)

Not to hijack the thread but... did you follow the idea of taking a long rest after four cycles? I had not heard about the tomato timer till I read it on your post. Just trying to try out new study techniques. That Anki post of yours inspired me to finally put together a deck for a histology class I'm in. I've already studied more in the past two days than I have this whole semester on this course! so thanks! :)
I am on it too! I have a biochem final in 2 weeks so hopefully I can pull a good test score and save my grade.

Wow that's great to hear! Yeah it's my secret weapon but I tell it to as many people as I can because it's a very efficient technique. When I'm studying everyday I usually only do 3 cycles and nap, but when it's closer to the exam, I do four 25-minute cycles then the 15-minute break and then repeat for a second four 25-minute cycle, then nap.