Pre-Dental Post bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

archonsbk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I went to post-bac forum and wasn't able to find post-bac programs for dental schools. I only found a bunch of programs for medical schools.

These are the schools that offer predental post bac programs.

Nova Southeastern
UCSF
Creighton
Baylor
Portland State
Towson
Tufts
Southern Illinois

Is there more post-bac programs for pre-dental students?
Or... it does not really matter whether I go to a post-bac program for med schools

Members don't see this ad.

Try this site to get your search started:
http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

When I was looking at post-bacc. programs back in '08 there were not a lot geared specifically toward dentistry.

Because there is almost 100% overlap between med school/dental school requirements, most post-bacc. programs are simply coined "pre-medical post-bacc. programs" or "health career changer programs".

Whether or not you complete a pre-dental/pre-medical post bacc. program will not have any impact on your application. Although, I would hope that "pre-dental" programs allow you to network with surrounding dental schools which could give you an edge (from a networking standpoint)come application time.

To my knowledge Bryn Mawr is one of the most competitive post-bacc. programs. Their program has been around the longest and their matriculation rate to professional health school is above 95%. Of course, it is also one of the most selective post-bacc. programs in the country.

Good Luck!

I did my postbac at Tufts and only have positive things to say about the experience. They were phenomenally supportive and the entire group of pre-health profession postbacs is incredibly cohesive. The courses were, by far, the most rigorous courses I've ever taken, and yet I did better in these courses than any time in my undergraduate career. I found the professors fascinating, brilliant, and caring.

Before going to the Tufts postbac program, I though that I would strongly dislike living in the Boston area. After starting the program and making friends with the other students, I quickly learned the area's secrets and ended up having a wonderful time living there for two years. It was great being so close to public transportation and all the culture; when I did have free time, I never worried about what i might do.

Feel free to PM me any questions! =)

Members don't see this ad :)
The courses were, by far, the most rigorous courses I've ever taken, and yet I did better in these courses than any time in my undergraduate career.

Why do you think you did better in the graduate courses than the undergraduate ones?

Last edited:
Why do you think you did better in the graduate courses than the undergraduate ones? I too need to do a SMP and am really anxious. Did you have any doubts before you started your program?

I should have specified that this was not an SMP. I was taking all undergraduate level basic science courses at Tufts: 2 semesters each of Bio, Chem, Orgo, and Physics as well as 1 semester of Biochem. I had not taken a single normal, basic science course when I got my bachelors over seven years ago.

I know that I did so much better because I cared deeply about what I was doing this time around. In my experience, Tufts has top faculty (including chairs of dept., etc.) teaching the the basic science courses. I found their interest and enthusiasm infectious (like laughter, not disease! :)) which in turn aided my fascination with the material. I constantly looked forward to attending class and so did the other postbac students I tended to study with. I was generally impressed by the engaging and collegial environment there.

Tufts does have an SMP, but I don't know too much about it. Both the career-changer postbacs (like myself) and the application enhancers (SMPs) can participate in the Sharewood Project, helping provide free medical and dental care and screenings to local underserved populations, and I did meet some SMP students there. They all seem to enjoy it. I'm sure the school could put you in touch with SMP students who would be much better at answering your SMP questions. :)